Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Re: On-velope? Or enn-velope?

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I think the clue is in the spelling. If it begins with an e then it's envelope, not onvelope. If the word ends with an e then the previous vowel is lengthened, therefore scone, not scon.

Supposing the word was envelop. Would you say onvelop? Of course not! However, if the word was entourage, then it would be pronouced ontourage, but only because it's a French word and which would be correct! If it were entrance, would you say ontrance? It gets dafter the more you think about it!
But there are always the exceptions where the previous vowel is not lengthened when the word ends with an e as in give, have, olive, live (live in London)

And as mentioned earlier on the thread, the word envelope was borrowed into English from French during the early 18th century, and the first syllable acquired the pronunciation (on) as an approximation to the nasalized French pronunciation. Gradually the word became anglicized further and is now most commonly pronounced (n-v-lp). The earlier pronunciation is still used by many people.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:19 PM

I say it the both ways enn-velope and on- velope ....
Wasn't even aware of it ....
As for scone .. I do say sconn
Decaf
Kent
Decaf is female  Decaf has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:29 PM

On-velope for me! But I have a Dutch mother who, when i was born didn't speak English very well, and my pronunciation has always caused amusement to others....for example I pronounce oven like often and wonder like wander!!! My teacher way back at school found it highly amusing when I described the seven wonders of the world....it sounded like some very long walks
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 11:56 PM

Envelope and Scone every time.
Common as muck, me.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Envelope and Scone every time.
Common as muck, me.
Is there a better way gal ..... Where theres muck, theres a heart of 'gold' .... just made that up
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 05:12 PM

Glad you did Pats, cos that's me all over - me modesty never fails.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Same here ......
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Now just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons on this debate, my Ipad has an inbuilt Oxford dictionary function, which itself has a function which vocalises words to show correct pronunciation. So, out of curiosity I entered 'scone' and was given several options which basically came down to the place, the stone, and the pastry. And the 'apparent' correct pronunciation of the place is, drum roll please, 'scoon', which actually when you say it out loud makes sense as it gives the word a Scottish lilt.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 03:15 PM

It's enn-velope for me - which reminds me I have a letter to type up... I'll be back in half an hour!!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 09:38 AM

I just say velope, because I find it hard to make up my mind.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top