Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:09 AM

Re: Gallstone Disease!

Well as I'm not sleeping well tonight I slipped and read that last paper. Interestingly, the researchers themselves state in the paper that the results referred to in the graphs Ted has cut and pasted are not statistically significant so cannot be relied on...

There's nothing new in that paper, and they were merely questioning the use of total cholesterol levels as a disease predictor rather than levels of individual 'bad' types of cholesterol.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well as I'm not sleeping well tonight I slipped and read that last paper. Interestingly, the researchers themselves state in the paper that the results referred to in the graphs Ted has cut and pasted are not statistically significant so cannot be relied on...

There's nothing new in that paper, and they were merely questioning the use of total cholesterol levels as a disease predictor rather than levels of individual 'bad' types of cholesterol.
But you have got to look at research in the context of all the research available on the topic.
Here are a couple of new papers on the topic.
Cholesterol, Statins, and Longevity From Age 70 to 90 Years
Benefits Of Statins In Elderly Subjects Without Established Cardiovascular Disease

You will be struggling to find evidence that overall statin use prolongs life in older people or that the claimed benefits of statin use are related to lowering cholesterol.

There are ways of obtaining the benefits claimed for statins without using statins. Magnesium, Vitamin D, omega 3, melatonin will all improve quality and length of life without producing the side effects statins associated with statins. We should be correcting natural deficiency states before resorting to pharmaceutical drugs.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TedHutchinson ->
But you have got to look at research in the context of all the research available on the topic.

Indeed you have, but it seems that you don't!

Incidentally, I have never been pro statins, but I do get irritated when you post such inaccurate drivel... And I won't be contributing further.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Indeed you have, but it seems that you don't!
It's a pity then that you choose not to support your claims with links to peer reviewed research that isn't funded by the statin industry.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top