Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
GDAD
Sydney Australia
GDAD is male  GDAD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Re: New Laws Make Moving To Australia Tougher

I remember seeing my two sons trying to get an apprenticeship
along with 2 to 3000 other young people in the 90S.
I think that jobs should first be offered to those living in Australia, then if they can't fill the position only then should
firms be allowed to advertise overseas.
During my working life, I done an apprenticeship, studied to obtained an engineering certificate, also engineering management. why should someone from overseas be given a job that i was capable of doing.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 10:51 PM

I absolutely agree with you and I think most people would. I can never understand why countries don't train up the existing workforce (by force if necessary!) rather than bring in overseas applicants - it was revealed not too long ago that the British Government actually offers firms a cashback deal if they give the job to foreign applicants! Go figure that logic out
GDAD
Sydney Australia
GDAD is male  GDAD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I absolutely agree with you and I think most people would. I can never understand why countries don't train up the existing workforce (by force if necessary!) rather than bring in overseas applicants - it was revealed not too long ago that the British Government actually offers firms a cashback deal if they give the job to foreign applicants! Go figure that logic out
Ben; We have a lot of Nurses & Doctors who were trained
O/Seas. My thought is that for every worker that is brought in from O/Seas the firm or hospitals should be required to train two juniors up to the qualifications required, so that in the long term we will have people to fill these positions. This should be in all industries.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

18-10-2013, 03:26 AM

A subclass (417) visa allows you to come here to travel and work??

It lasts 12 months,i have a mate here who i was with a week ago,he come here 2 months ago?
He is a chef and stays in country pubs cooking and travelling.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 08:46 AM

BV It is a good revision. Firms were bringing in overseas workers even though there were qualified people here to do the work.

The other problem is workers from overseas were working for less money which was the real sting.

Yes, we have the Aussie Government also paying firms to hire overseas people too. The lad next door to us, his firm is only hiring Indian workers because they get so much money given to them for doing that. I think it's $2,400 the firm gets for every Indian. The workers stay for a while (sometimes only a few months)and then move on to other jobs and the firm hires another Indian and gets another lot of money and so it goes on. These firms are getting thousands of dollars to do it. Not fair to Australian workers who aren't even interviewed for these jobs and believe me they require no special skills. It's packing foods on a moving line.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GDAD ->
Ben; We have a lot of Nurses & Doctors who were trained
O/Seas. My thought is that for every worker that is brought in from O/Seas the firm or hospitals should be required to train two juniors up to the qualifications required, so that in the long term we will have people to fill these positions. This should be in all industries.
Again, I couldn't agree more with you. It's one of the lovely things about forums: you find that normal people (as opposed to those in the political classes) feel exactly the same way and appear to be more logical than those supposedly running the country. It does make you wonder doesn't it.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
BV It is a good revision. Firms were bringing in overseas workers even though there were qualified people here to do the work.

The other problem is workers from overseas were working for less money which was the real sting.

Yes, we have the Aussie Government also paying firms to hire overseas people too. The lad next door to us, his firm is only hiring Indian workers because they get so much money given to them for doing that. I think it's $2,400 the firm gets for every Indian. The workers stay for a while (sometimes only a few months)and then move on to other jobs and the firm hires another Indian and gets another lot of money and so it goes on. These firms are getting thousands of dollars to do it. Not fair to Australian workers who aren't even interviewed for these jobs and believe me they require no special skills. It's packing foods on a moving line.
Now that is interesting Sandi - it's exactly what's happening in Britain (and the Isle of Man is included in Britain) and it begs the question: why? They keep talking about free movement within Europe but it doesn't tend to be Europeans that are being employed in favour of local workers. As you say, a lot of it comes down to pay which is what convinces me they are using it as a tool to drive down wages/salaries.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 05:28 PM

I agree with you BV. They are trying to drive down wages/salaries.
The other problem is all our manufacturing is closing down and going overseas to countries with low wages. It's just the search for the almighty dollar in their pockets and while we have people who work in sweat shops just to exist, it will continue to go on.

Our press are waging a war here with companies who are getting their goods made overseas in these sweatshops and then charging vastly increased prices for their goods here.

They are trying to name & shame them for what they are doing but I don't think it's working. The bottom line is it's all about the profits.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-10-2013, 05:56 PM

What you are describing, Sandi, is what has happened here; I hope your media have better luck than ours did in putting a stop to mass manufacturing being done abroad and keep it on Australian land instead. It's one thing to help developing countries (which I don't believe for one moment is the driving force behind it) but not at the detriment of your own country.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 02:57 AM

The rest of the article is below and explains a bit further why it may not be such a good idea. In Australia we have a serious shortage of certain occupations and qualifications which cannot be quickly or easily fixed. Some of our Unis don't even deliver certain degrees and qualifications because our population doesn't make it financially viable for them to do so.

In my state of Tasmania we have only one University which doesn't train several professions including vets and physiotherapists, for example. Young people wanting to do jobs such as those go to the mainland or overseas to train and often never return. And our hospital system simply wouldn't work without attracting and employing qualified staff from overseas. There are always two sides to a story. Our new "conservative" govt is not one that gives me much hope for future development of Australia.

[I]"Migration Council Australia chief executive Carla Wilshire said the findings showed the 457 visa programme is critical in keeping Australia competitive in an era when industry is global and 98% of innovation happens outside of Australia.
She said: "Four out of five multinational companies are using 457 visa holders to train and develop Australian workers.
"The survey results reinforce the message that skills transfer and knowledge from 457 visa-holders play an important role in building Australia's human capital.
"Temporary migration does not just fill skills shortages, it addresses skills deficits and plays a central part in workplace development at the enterprise level."
[/I]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top