Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Re: What happened to the breadwinner?

I prefer the way it was, Mum staying home looking after children and home.
Not that my Mother did that ! She wanted her freedom so should never have had children ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can see both Jem's points of view and Grumblewagons too. It would be interesting to be able to do a poll of some sort and see which group was in the minority - families doing quite nicely, or families struggling ?
I wonder how many struggling families have actually sat down and worked out their incomings and outgoings properly, on paper.
And don't forget, when it was mostly only the husband that worked, there weren't folks wanting all the expensive technology in their homes that some families consider a "must have" now. How many would have had holidays abroad, cruises, 2 or 3 cars in the family, computers, flat screen telly's, dishwashers, expensive furniture, posh clothes, even food itself was different. Of course wages were a lot less, but so were people's "needs".
I wonder how many couples live beyond their means simply because they like to keep up appearances as well?
Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can think of two words to explain what has happened - Avarice and Attitude! Not everyone, admittedly, but many.

My generation saved for a deposit on house, lived in simple rented accommodation or with in laws while they did so. Having found the house - we then bought second hand furniture or welcomed donations of stuff from relatives until we could afford new. I can remember many a fun Saturday morning at the local auction house. We made things like curtains and clothes. We knitted and crocheted things for the babes when they arrived. We cooked proper food and we didn't have time to be bored because we had hobbies! New things were welcomed with a sense of achievement. We managed a 'household budget' because to be in debt was shameful.

Modern generation ( again, not all!) don't want second hand stuff - they want to start out where their parents left off. They don't want to wait until they have saved the money - they want it all now. They want designer/fashion clothes not home made. They want instant meals that they can just throw in a microwave during the ads on TV. They want those disgusting disposable nappys so they can dump the babes with a childminder and go back to earning money to buy more designer clothes and giant plasma TVs. They have no hobbies or interests. They use credit cards like confetti ! They don't worry about debts because 'the social' will sort it out for them.

I see lots of young mums on the buses - in the shops - in the city centre - and the one thing that strikes me more than anything is - they have no joy of life about them - and that is so sad!
If you two hadn't got here first, that's what I was going to say. I so dislike the I WANT IT ALL NOW mentality. I remember the satisfaction of reaching the point where I had saved enough to buy something I wanted. It would never have occurred to me to buy on credit (apart from the mortgage).
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:57 AM

I think the biggest change (which affects young people disproportionately) is the cost of privately rented accommodation. When I left home in 1967, we found a flat which cost us £4 per week. This represented less than 20% of our income at the time. My daughter and her boyfriend recently signed a contract for a grotty bedsit which is costing them £250 per week (just under 50% of their joint income). This will become an ever increasing problem as demand for private accommodation is increasing (numbers of households renting accommodation increased 40% between 2005 and 2010) and landlords respond to the demand by upping their prices.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your replies Folks.
I know I'm old fashioned, my wife didn't have to work until she chose to when the children were raised, she soon tired of it and packed it in, she preferred to be a housewife (can we still use that word today or is that another mortal sin?). She had the choice whereas my Daughter had no choice, she had to keep working when she married, luckily we were there to take care of the kids, unfortunately every couple don't have relatives to do that.
Most young women I think would rather be with their children looking after them and enjoying them growing up, but they have no choice and must go to work, choice being a key word in this. But then again I'm old fashioned and it takes a long time for me to catch up on new trends.

Meg that made me laugh.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 12:10 PM

!973 I got married to 1st wasband, the house we were interested in went from £2,000 up to about £4,000 between booking the wedding & the big day. Then he got made redundant from the aircraft industry & thing went downhill from then on. We got a council flat eventually & had donated furniture & packing crate for a table. My Mum never worked after marriage and neither did my older sisters. I worked as soon as my children went to nursery and gradually we got everything we needed. Then went overseas for a few years.
In the late seventies & eighties most children were brought up to get everything they wanted, when that generation grew up they were used to credit etc. and mothers working so when they got places of their own they got the house and furniture straight away, then they had to pay for it somehow. Also the price of houses, rent or mortgage is far too high because of the disproportionate rise in house prices. People are living longer so not leaving houses to their children which would often help out the grandchildren as well.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:21 PM

We married in 1967 and things were very tight financially for years. I'd been married five years and had two children before I got my first washing machine. Bliss! What we did have was job security, so we could save and plan and know things would get easier. I wouldn't swap those early years for anything because looking back I think struggling together forged a very strong marriage.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Moiramary ->
We married in 1967 and things were very tight financially for years. I'd been married five years and had two children before I got my first washing machine. Bliss! What we did have was job security, so we could save and plan and know things would get easier. I wouldn't swap those early years for anything because looking back I think struggling together forged a very strong marriage.
Really like your point there, I wouldn't swap either .....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 02:01 PM

I'm going to take a contrary view and say that, while we were never exactly well off in the early days, we never 'struggled' . I think that this lack of financial worries helped us to forge a very strong marriage.

I wouldn't swap that.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:42 PM

I was married in 1955, my husband was a policeman and he earned £9 aweek, the rent was £12 -12 shillings a month. You could only have a Police house if you had two children.My son was born in 1956 and as the week progressed to buy baby milk I had to do without food for a couple of days. They were hard times but we never borrowed money or bought new things.That was how it was in those days.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
my Daughter had no choice, she had to keep working when she married
I'm not trying to be funny - just curious - do you think that is because they wanted more than you had when you started or because even basic things now cost relatively more?

I guess it is partly the latter as our first house - a newly built detached here in Australia - cost less than two years' teaching salary while now the same house would cost at least four years' salary. Cars are the other way - they now probably only cost a quarter of a years's salary while they used to cost much more.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top