Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Re: Drugs

I absolutely and categorically disagree, the role of modern medicine in life expectancy is a drop in the ocean compared to the factors already mentioned i.e good quality housing, education, affluence, nutrition and hygiene

You could go on as much as you like it wouldn't convince me.

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Of course modern medicine is a factor in life expectancy.

Think of the vaccination programme for our children, i.e diptheria, polio, meningitis, whooping cough, MMMR for instance, and the advances in treatments for conditions that people not so long ago would have died from i.e diabetes and also some cancers....etc etc....
....I could go on....
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I absolutely and categorically disagree, the role of modern medicine in life expectancy is a drop in the ocean compared to the factors already mentioned i.e good quality housing, education, affluence, nutrition and hygiene
You contradict yourself.
So why say modern medicine isn't a factor?..maybe you don't agree that children died young because of lack of treatments for diseases that because of modern medicine have now been virtually eradicated.

quote..."Life expectancy increase has nothing to do with drugs!!"..unquote
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 09:58 PM

It is very difficult to dialogue with someone who has an entire life invested in modern medicine - so I won't bother. Except to ask do you really believe that modern medicine has prevented the death of children more than the factors I've already mentioned?

I suggest you study medical social sociology and read Ivan Illich's work and then debate with me.

You contradict yourself.
So why say modern medicine isn't a factor?..maybe you don't agree that children died young because of lack of treatments for diseases that because of modern medicine have now been virtually eradicated.

quote..."Life expectancy increase has nothing to do with drugs!!"..unquote
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
It is very difficult to dialogue with someone who has an entire life invested in modern medicine - so I won't bother. Except to ask do you really believe that modern medicine has prevented the death of children more than the factors I've already mentioned?
It is not a case of quantifying...it is the matter of you dismissing an entire and important factor of life expectancy i.e modern medicine.

I suggest you study medical social sociology and read Ivan Illich's work and then debate with me.
I suggest you study the facts of increased life expectancy and you will see that it includes modern medicine.
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 10:45 PM

My first infress on this discussion was that prescription drugs can be much more fatal than illegal drugs, and as there is a law against the later making it more difficult to get than prescription drugs are.
Maybe drugs may help to make you live longer, But is it a Quality OR a Quanity life.
There are many good Doctors out there, But finding a local practitioner that will diognose in relation to you and not to His/Her Bank account is a bit of a mine field.
So all the people that wrote they have complete faith in their Doctor, I just ponder on the thought that one day when they become extreemly ill and they find out it was the medication their trusted Doctor had been prescribing to them that has caused the dilema they are now facing, will still hold the same faith in their local Doctor.
Baxter8
Somerset

21-04-2014, 06:25 AM

David - it is a subject close to my heart and one I studied for years. As a youngster a very close relative of mine became severely addicted to prescribed drugs, the impact it had on my family was nothing short of devastating, not just because of the addiction but the GP upon realising how serious the addiction had become and just how much he had peddled the drugs, stopped them without any rehabilitation. The withdrawal was violent and extremely unpleasant to witness. This person has been addicted to various medications ever since, all the medications cause side effects and these are ameliorated by - yes, you've guessed it, further medication.

I have absolutely no doubt there are excellent hard-working doctors out there, I get along really well with my GP because he won't prescribe medication - odd, but very reassuring. As good as doctors/GPs are they are largely unwitting puppets and part of an interest group like any other, in an industry dedicated to making money.

Originally Posted by david ->
My first infress on this discussion was that prescription drugs can be much more fatal than illegal drugs, and as there is a law against the later making it more difficult to get than prescription drugs are.
Maybe drugs may help to make you live longer, But is it a Quality OR a Quanity life.
There are many good Doctors out there, But finding a local practitioner that will diognose in relation to you and not to His/Her Bank account is a bit of a mine field.
So all the people that wrote they have complete faith in their Doctor, I just ponder on the thought that one day when they become extreemly ill and they find out it was the medication their trusted Doctor had been prescribing to them that has caused the dilema they are now facing, will still hold the same faith in their local Doctor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by david ->
Now that is a excellent point, we are IMO keeping people alive far past a point where they should be these days. Aggressively treating things in some cases it would be better not to be treated for.
Pats
Lincolnshire

21-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
...... we are IMO keeping people alive far past a point where they should be these days.
Isn't that the choice of the individual whether they wish to be treated or not?

Aggressively treating things in some cases it would be better not to be treated for.
Such as Julie?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 02:27 PM

Isn't that the choice of the individual whether they wish to be treated or not?

Such as Julie?
OMG you cannot be real pats. People in my own family have been kept alive far past the point they were happy and comfortable I cannot believe as a nurse you have never seen that happen.
We don't keep dogs alive like we keep humans we would be charged with cruelty if we did.

As for choice of course but are we given a choice ? not often, we are encouraged to take whatever they want to give us no choices are offered and I have seen people ridiculed and turned away when they refuse to submit.
Pats
Lincolnshire

21-04-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
OMG you cannot be real pats. People in my own family have been kept alive far past the point they were happy and comfortable I cannot believe as a nurse you have never seen that happen.
We don't keep dogs alive like we keep humans we would be charged with cruelty if we did.

As for choice of course but are we given a choice ? not often, we are encouraged to take whatever they want to give us no choices are offered and I have seen people ridiculed and turned away when they refuse to submit.
A person has to consent to treatment or their NOK if they can't.

We all have the right to refuse treatment or better still make a Advanced Directive for our end of life care.

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top