Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 10:21 PM

Re: Wild Birds.

I have a large variety here all the time.
The crows are the noisest, about 5am there knocking on my windows. The Pigeons are around all day, The Miners, Butchers, Magpies all seem to have there own times, But the Parrots pop in at regular intervals and take over.
Cockatoos, Galahas, King just to mention a few, And there all "NOISY"
My neighbour doesn't like them, But Im not keen on him either so he can go jump.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by david ->
I have a large variety here all the time.
The crows are the noisest, about 5am there knocking on my windows. The Pigeons are around all day, The Miners, Butchers, Magpies all seem to have there own times, But the Parrots pop in at regular intervals and take over.
Cockatoos, Galahas, King just to mention a few, And there all "NOISY"

My neighbour doesn't like them, But Im not keen on him either so he can go jump.

I can't imagine seeing all those beautiful coloured birds flying free David, you're so lucky. I know they are noisy critters, but I would still love to see them.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 07:24 AM

I have just received an email from the RSPB including a link to the result of the Great Garden Bird Watch, here it is in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

I have read this thread with interest, we all seem to see different birds, for instance, I do not see any Starlings. Mainly Tits and Finches, I do see a Buzzard flying around but he does not land.

I believe in allowing nature to take its sometimes cruel course but I did make a Magpie fence for the bird table. I made it from an old freezer basket, covered it with twigs and bamboo, it allowed the small birds to feed whilst keeping the Magpies out. It needs refurbishing, as the Magpies are drifting back, perhaps I should take some time and do it. Does anybody else take similar measure against the greedy big birds?

Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 08:44 AM

I have a water drencher, a large garden play syringe type thing that I sometimes aim at the pigeons.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 07:29 PM

I mentioned the other day seeing a Sparrow Hawk land in the garden.
He hasn't been back but we are still hearing him about.

I put an old hanging basket upside down, over food, to keep the big birds away.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Yes..we have a sparrow hawk who takes up his position on a street light..

Half of my garden is covered by low bushes..so I get loads of sparrows and tits..

He does get them sometimes..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Yes, we get plenty of small birds too and we have seen the Hawk chase and catch them - and last year, we were lucky to see mum bring her youngster and land on the fence by the patio doors.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 07:59 PM

We have a wren who nests in a Christmas tree I planted..I had the honour of seeing her feed her two offspring..They were so tiny..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

11-05-2014, 08:04 PM

Awww, lucky you
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Yes, we get plenty of small birds too and we have seen the Hawk chase and catch them - and last year, we were lucky to see mum bring her youngster and land on the fence by the patio doors.
I know it's nature but I'm very sensitive in some ways where animals/birds are concerned. I'd be aghast at actually seeing it happen! I still replay images of a crow killing a baby robin & it happened over a decade ago!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top