Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Blue Flax

http://www.perennials.com/plants/lin...-sapphire.html

I've had these growing wild on the hill near us & they're starting to spread a bit too. I hope so, they're just so pretty
Does anyone else have these?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Re: Blue Flax

There are fields of them near me.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Blue flax is indeed lovely, with a flower so blue as to rival Ipomaea (Morning Glory "Heavenly Blue").

It's manufacture/processing in past times makes interesting reading Not least the process of RETTING,
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 12:40 PM

There is a farm near us grows it, we usually make a point of going to see it when it's in flower as it's so stunning.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Seeing a field of it must be breathtaking!

Robert, what does RETTING mean?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Seeing a field of it must be breathtaking!

Robert, what does RETTING mean?
ex WIKI

RETTING

There are several methods of retting flax. It can be retted in a pond, stream, field or a tank. When the retting is complete the bundles of flax feel soft and slimy, and quite a few fibers are standing out from the stalks. When wrapped around a finger the inner woody part springs away from the fibers.
Pond retting is the fastest. It consists of placing the flax in a pool of water which will not evaporate. It generally takes place in a shallow pool which will warm up dramatically in the sun; the process may take from only a couple days to a couple weeks. Pond retted flax is traditionally considered lower quality, possibly because the product can become dirty, and easily over-retts, damaging the fiber. This form of retting also produces quite an odor.
Stream retting is similar to pool retting, but the flax is submerged in bundles in a stream or river. This generally takes longer than pond retting, normally by two or three weeks, but the end product is less likely to be dirty, does not smell as bad and, because the water is cooler, it is less likely to be over-retted.

IN MY youth I lectured in textiles & RETTING tickled my fancy. The thought of beautiful fine linen starting it's life submerged in a stagnant pond, stuck in my memory.

Cotton processing was another interesting field & I remember the ACROSTIC "BOCSUAT" for listing the order in which cotton was made into yarn from the raw cotton bolls

Breaking
Opening
Cleaning
Scutching
Uniforming
Attenuating
Twisting
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

29-05-2014, 09:34 PM

Boy Robert it's sure something I have never even considered.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 11:34 PM

I used to see fields of it around here, but haven't seen any for a couple of years now. It certainly does look a picture.
Tweety
Scotland
Tweety is female  Tweety has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Love to see anything growing wild....unless it's in my garden.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
There are fields of them near me.
There are fields of it around here too being grown for the oil . It really does look beautiful with the breeze gently blowing though it making waves of blue

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top