Join for free
Page 4 of 46 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Barry but not likely to happen.
There are too many people in positions of power who subscribe to religion of one sort or another .
Very true Meg, it's all about power of the few over the many, and that is why religions such as Islam rule by fear and suffer no dissension or questioning of their supposed "truth". Freedom of thought is pure anathema to them....
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 06:52 PM

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

Religious devotees do NOT have a right to brainwash small children. It is a form of child abuse. And for any government to (even partially) fund it is atrocious.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
.. that is why religions such as Islam rule by fear and suffer no dissension or questioning of their supposed "truth". Freedom of thought is pure anathema to them....
It's called Apostasy, where even thinking of something which is against Islam carries the death sentence.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
- if they were officially faith schools like Gove and Co. have promoted, they would not be bothered.
Of course not.

A buddhist school in this country insists their pupils are vegetarian and if one parent drinks then they are not admitted Fair enough its a faith school.

These schools in Birmingham were STATE schools so open to all religions of the people who live in that neighbourhood that is what the uproar is about and should be about.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
.... Fair enough its a faith school.....
Sorry Sue. As my previous post might indicate, I cannot agree.
If the parents' faith was Satanism or Voodoo or whatever ... would it be OK for them to force their young children into schools teaching such stuff ?
The same principle applies whether it is Catholicism, JWs, Mormons, Islam, Scientology, Cof E etc etc etc etc.

Schools should be able to teach ABOUT religion in general - but not inculcate particular religious beliefs into the minds of gullible small children.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
If the parents' faith was Satanism or Voodoo or whatever ... would it be OK for them to force their young children into schools teaching such stuff ?
If that's the parents belief and there were faith schools that catered for that then yes it is OK.

What is wrong if Satanist took over a STATE school and started teaching that to others.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
The same principle applies whether it is Catholicism, JWs, Mormons, Islam, Scientology, Cof E etc etc etc etc.

Schools should be able to teach ABOUT religion in general - but not inculcate particular religious beliefs into the minds of gullible small children.
I agree entirely with your post, children should be taught and allowed to make up their own minds later as they see fit.
Christ we all teach our young children about Santa Claus, and they don't believe it for all their lives.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Very true Meg, it's all about power of the few over the many, and that is why religions such as Islam rule by fear and suffer no dissension or questioning of their supposed "truth". Freedom of thought is pure anathema to them....
I can only think you have not met many Muslims of different sects because the ones I have met are very much encouraged to question the entire faith is built on asking and learning about and discussing. Obviously some aren't but we shouldn't judge them all by the intolerant and frankly dangerous ones. It would be like judging all Christians like the dreadful Phelps family !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 10:37 PM

Blimey, the very thought of discussing anything 'religious' is just utter tedium to me. I feel it as much use to my life as something I have trodden upon - just nasty and a huge inconvenience.

Then again unless you read about such stuff how will you become 'informed'? Tis ignorance that causes religious brainwashing - well that and being somewhat unbalanced in other ways. No, kids need to be educated in everything that religion has stood for and is standing for, for them to get a clear picture of how antiquated it all is.
Griffon
Middle England
Griffon is male 

10-06-2014, 11:43 PM

The thing that should be taught in any school is that all religions are born out of nothing more than superstition and ignorance, and that they have no place in the modern world.

All religions are just brainwashing on a global scale, and should be outlawed completely in a supposedly enlightened society because it does nothing but divide nations and subjigate the individual....
We would do better perhaps to teach children to question and to reason. The rest will follow.

Page 4 of 46 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top