Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 03:08 PM

Re: How Fair is Britain?

I think it's true but then we have black members of our family since the early 80s.

When we talk about immigration some people always imagine we have a problem with colour, but personally I would rather see people from India/Pakistan/Sri lanka/Africa and many other places come here in a controlled manner than unfettered immigration from white countries in the EU.

The anti EU lobby should be listened to more carefully and not assumed to be racist IMO
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 03:14 PM

is UK still the land of milk and honey that so many immigrants imagine?
touchwood
england
touchwood is male 

24-06-2014, 04:31 PM

WELL, NO longer can it be fair, reason=social mobility.
in london you find phds in fast food cafes, while those who worked hard now find they cant even pay domestic bills, and yet the government does nothing citing the free market, fair never, but i do think its always been like that, here and even the usa which liked to think the dream was for all,er its no longer enough to work hard to get on, the rewards are no longer there.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
We all come and debate on here with our own ideas, prejudices and slants. All influenced by our past experiences, lifestyles and sometimes views of others. I've just been perusing the document " How Fair is Britain? Equality, Human Rights and Good Relations in 2010" produced by the Equal and Human Rights Commission in UK.
It is of course a very lengthy and interesting document and I will post the link below. But I realized that many of the topics we discuss and debate here would benefit from the 'facts' as this documents sees them. So I will pick out choice statements and leave them open for discussion - you can of course refer to the document yourself to check my accuracies!
As others have already said, assessing fairness of any society surely depends on where you are in that society?
How do you actually quantify Fairness?

Something applied at one level of a given society and deemed as Fair by those it directly effects could well be regarded as totally Unfair by another level of that same society but for reasons that simply do NOT impinge on that original level of the society!

Gets complicated don't it?!

I personally feel that Fairness is slipping away from all of us, no matter how we each feel in social groups / levels in the greater society.

State Security and Policing is encroaching more and more on us all but much of it is covert and kept from us - where's the Fairness in that?! stevmk2
touchwood
england
touchwood is male 

24-06-2014, 05:03 PM

YOU ARE right to mention policing/secruity,
much can be done under the guise of national security,
trouble is by its nature how can we judge what is justified ?

like the adage who watches the watchmen, god knows!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 10:17 PM

It could get messy if the custodians of the "Hidden Agenda" forget where THEY have Hidden It.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 02:51 AM

well just a reminder that the report did say that the British had a deep sense of fairness BUT that Britain was still not yet fair which some are indeed agreeing with here. But forever moving on:

here is an interesting comment from the report about "race, religion and belief"

Whilst research shows that there is greater mixing of people from different backgrounds, when the public is explicitly asked about prejudice, they feel that
there is greater racial and religious prejudice nowadays, compared with the recent past.
for example in 2001 approx 40% of people believed there was more racial prejudice that in the previous 5 yrs

in 2005 48% and in 2008 56% - remembering these are peoples beliefs [perceptions] not necessarily what was reality.

and in terms of religious prejudice:

The proportion of people who believe there is more religious prejudice in Britain compared to 5 years ago previously increased from around 52% in 2005 to 62% in 2007/08.
if this belief also reflects reality then I would imagine that as prejudices increase so fairness decreases?

Incidentally as I mentioned at the start I did check out the sources of data and they come from England, Wales and Scotland but NOT Ireland.

It would be interesting if not impossible to compare the data obtained from England, Wales and Scotland and indeed Ireland, to see what differences existed if any, but that would be a whole new work in itself!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
It's time the peasants were revolting !
I know one or two revolting peasants.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:42 AM

Ploppy don't you ever read the title ..

They want to know how fair is Britain ...

Well this is just an observation .. with all the rain they get ...
I would assume they don't get much sun ....
but they are one of the most popular country for sun block ...
I assume they are very fair ...
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:46 AM

If they kicked all black people out they would be quite fair, but that wouldn't be fair of course.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top