Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
touchwood
england
touchwood is male 

26-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Re: How Fair is Britain?

ODD I think of it as englishness.
and we have ukip, which is more acceptable then in france with front national, and some of the extreme groups on the continent,

it could be said, england has a self imposed limit on our extremes,
one message to liberal thinkers, the idea of embracing other cultures has its limits, better to preach , live and let live,
er i know easier said than done??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 09:29 AM

I'm not sure how this section relates to fairness in Britain but it is included so here goes:

Work

The modern economy is characterised by a variety of working patterns and a shift towards the knowledge and service sectors.
a round 63% of people in employment in the UK work in full-time jobs. One in 5 works part-time; 1 in 8 is self-employed; and 1 in 17 is on a temporary contract. These proportions have been roughly stable for the past 15 years. inextricably linked to this change is o ver the past four
decades, the proportion of women in employment has increased from 56% in 1971 to 70% in the three months to december 2008, many of whom take up part-time employment opportunities.
The recent rise of information technology has opened the door to other forms of flexibility, giving an increasing number of workers the freedom to work from home, or on the move, when necessary.
seems to be a sense of stability here despite major changes in the type of employment available?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I'm not sure how this section relates to fairness in Britain but it is included so here goes:

seems to be a sense of stability here despite major changes in the type of employment available?
Not so sure, I know several men who now work part time in supermarkets who would traditionally have worked full time in possibly manual jobs, none are happy and all lament the loss of the full time more appropriate for them employment. Several women working full time in stressful jobs lamenting the time they could have worked part time and looked after their own children. We may have more in work etc but less are happy IMO
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 10:47 AM

there are so many angles to this aspect of 'fairness'. Oz seems to deal with its multiculturalism well but unlike UK has a strong immigration policy and practices [too strong some would say] which enables it to prevent the sort of flooding of immigrants UK gets.

but on a predictive note, IMO there must surely come a point when the original national identity has become so diluted and swamped that something else emerges and the Britishness that we remember and can still just recognize will no longer exist. and some may say "well that's not fair"
I think that the resentment many people feel in the UK regarding immigration has very little to do with racism and everything to do with the fact that massive social change (in the form of mass immigration) has been forced upon the people of the UK with no consultation whatever. If, for example, the Labour Party had stood on an honest platform of allowing millions of immigrants to enter the country during its period of power (the Blair/Brown years) there is no way on earth they would have been elected.
It is all well and good for economists and liberal philosophers to preach about the benefits of mass immigration, but they are not the ones who have to live with the disadvantages. It is not them who have to compete for work with people prepared to accept much lower wages, it is not them who have to compete for doctors appointments, hospital appointments, for affordable housing, for school places etc etc. That privilege is reserved for the working class.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=gumbud;489370]I'm not sure how this section relates to fairness in Britain but it is included so here goes:

seems to be a sense of stability here despite major changes in the type of employment available?[/QUOTE

Not really matey, since the statistics you quote take no account of nor even mention those who are on zero hour contracts.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 11:29 AM

I would doubt very much if the report would have gone down to the level of contrasting and comparing different social groups or indeed different racial groups in terms of their employment conditions - probably not possible or not advisable!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

28-06-2014, 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=Uncle Joe;489476]

seems to be a sense of stability here despite major changes in the type of employment available?[/QUOTE

Not really matey, since the statistics you quote take no account of nor even mention those who are on zero hour contracts.
yes I think that is a rather crafty section - it would seem they are only focusing on people who are in employment and NOT including those in the total popluation who are not employed for whatever reason! ie disability; retired etc etc

ps: UJ can't you just hit the quote button when you want to include another posters post - it makes it much neater!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

29-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Reminder: I am assuming that the authors of this great tome are not cheating and just 'making it up' - if you look at the whole document they have quoted many sources from which their 'evidence' is gleaned. However public surveys are often notoriously skewed and we can never be sure if we ask the 'general public' for their opinion, whether it is the truth or a 'little white lie'

this part is quite fascinating because it is suggesting that UK is becoming more diverse and less prejudice about many things including religion same sex marriages etc etc

over recent years, the general public’s attitude on equality and diversity has evolved considerably. People in Britain generally express attitudes that are much more tolerant and accepting of diversity, and much less tolerant of discrimination.
This can be seen in relation to most of the major equality characteristics,
including race and gender.
Sociologists have seen clear evidence of reductions in racial prejudice in Britain
and this one I liked too!

As well as a decline in prejudice in attitudes towards people from specific different groups, evidence suggest that the general public is also strongly in favour of thegeneric principles of equality, dignity and respect for all. in 2009, an inquiry into human rights carried out by the Commission demonstrated that 81% of people asked
think human rights are important for creating a fairer society, and 84% agree that it is important to have a law that protects human rights in Britain
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 08:47 PM

An interesting read.

How fair is Britain?

Life is unfair.

The report is 4 years old & I would suggest that the speed of change as perceived/experienced by the man in the street has escalated sharply in that time
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Reminder: I am assuming that the authors of this great tome are not cheating and just 'making it up' - if you look at the whole document they have quoted many sources from which their 'evidence' is gleaned. However public surveys are often notoriously skewed and we can never be sure if we ask the 'general public' for their opinion, whether it is the truth or a 'little white lie'

A good point. It is estimated that 75% of all statistics are made up.
As for surveys & questionnaires, people are notoriously prone to saying what they think the pollster wants to hear.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top