Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Re: Aspirin in the News

I am not claiming aspirin caused it but it was a big coincidence I had taken aspirin for about 10 years when suddenly I started going into anaphylactic shock about 20 minutes after I took it, by the time I got to see an allergist I was reacting to all NSAIDs, all raw foods containing pips, stones and seeds. She said as I reacted to Aspirin initially she was suspicious about how it had set this all off but obviously wasn't about to make any claims either.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Aspirin is so yesterday..nowadays you must take Ibuprofen...
Actually Lilac... it depends what you are taking the aspirin for. If you are taking it for pain relief or as an anti-inflamatory medication, then yes.. Ibuprofen fills the bill. However, ibuprofen does NOT act on your blood cells to prevent clotting. Only aspirin has that ability. Most people who are advised to take one baby aspirin a day are doing it to help ward off stroke or heart attack. Ibuprofen does not help with that.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
Everyone is different and what suits one person might not suit another.
Spot on Margoletta.
And that is why the person supplying the medication should be the person in possession of your medical history in the first place.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2014, 04:59 PM

I have to take Statins, Antihistamines and I'm still using Seretide at the moment but, other than the occasional Co-Enzyme Q10 tab, I don't bother with much else this time of year and I never take Aspirin because, as far as I can see, I get all the aspirin from the foods that I eat.

I regularly eat Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chilli Peppers, Cucumbers, Grapes and the spices Paprika and Turmeric and they all contain salicylic acid - Aspirin.

In Winter I do sometimes take Vitamin D and early in the year, as the sun gets stronger, I occasionally take Vitamin E to help my skin cope with the sun - I am a gardener after all so I could spend hours out there at work!

I started doing this in the Middle East but I carried on doing so a few weeks before holidays abroad in the past so it made sense for me to take a bit extra as I'm outside for long periods at work.

I do think though that there's a danger in slavishly following general advice from the media regarding supplements etcetera when its not actually recommended or prescribed for you - seems daft and for most of us it's probably unnecessary. stevmk2
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I have to take Statins, Antihistamines and I'm still using Seretide at the moment but, other than the occasional Co-Enzyme Q10 tab, I don't bother with much else this time of year and I never take Aspirin because, as far as I can see, I get all the aspirin from the foods that I eat.

I regularly eat Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chilli Peppers, Cucumbers, Grapes and the spices Paprika and Turmeric and they all contain salicylic acid - Aspirin.

http://vhpotty.blogspot.com/2009/01/...in-really.html

Salicylic acid is present in varying amounts in many natural foods such as radish, green pepper, tomato, broccoli, cucumber, squash, raisins, apricots, cantaloupe, black berries, blue berries, guava, dates, orange, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, turmeric, mustard, fenugreek, almonds, peanuts, coconuts and a few others. Salicylic acid is effective only in relieving pain and does not have the properties to prevent platelet aggregation like Aspirin. It may be too presumptuous to assume that consumption of plenty of fruits and vegetables reduces the risk of Cardio vascular disease or colorectal cancer solely because of Salicylic acid though its ability of reducing inflammation of the cells in general can be a contributing factor.
The million dollar question is whether eating large quantities of fruits and vegetables can be a substitute to taking low doses of Aspirin every day. Obviously no, because of the ineffectiveness of naturally occurring salicylic acid to prevent blood clotting in arteries and consequent blocks leading to myocardial infarction (MI). One may have to live with the known side effects of taking Aspirin, viz slow bleeding in GI tract and consequent lowering of hemoglobin content in the blood, if preemptive action is needed against MI, especially amongst vulnerable population. The fact still remains that many other benefits that can accrue on liberal intake of fruits and vegetables more than justify their consumption daily.
Salicylic acid is NOT aspirin. Aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid

Keep up eating your fresh fruits and veggies Stevmk2.. they are very important for health. However, if you are concerned with preventing heart attack and stroke you just may want to include a baby aspirin... aka.. ASA.. aks.. acetyl salicylic acid in your regimen.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Salicylic acid is NOT aspirin. Aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid

Keep up eating your fresh fruits and veggies stevmk2.. they are very important for health. However, if you are concerned with preventing heart attack and stroke you just may want to include a baby aspirin... aka.. ASA.. aks.. acetyl salicylic acid in your regimen.
I'd rather not regularly take any form of the Acetyl Salicylic Acid, commonly know as "Aspirin", other than natural sources of Salicylic Acid, regardless of what you quoted Audrey until I've actually asked my own doctor thank you.

I do have some concerns regarding strokes but I've had adverse reactions to some simple things in the past and, although it's supposedly safe to use aspirins and statins, as I said in my first post, I also take Seretide and, (occasionally, Ventolin), to control my Asthma.

"Many of the salicylates share the same properties as aspirin, although its anti‐platelet action is specific.
Extracts of plants, such as the willow and meadowsweet (which contain various compounds metabolized to salicylic acid), as well as salicylic acid prepared synthetically, pre‐dated aspirin in the treatment of inflammatory conditions.

The occurrence of salicylic acid present in strawberries and other fruit was discussed in the Lancet of 1903 and the matter of whether "natural" salicylates were superior to synthetic salicylates was the subject of a JAMA editorial in 1913 (no superiority could be shown)
".

Thought you might find the above interesting. stevmk2
AudreyII
USA

02-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Again steve... Natural occuring salicylic acid does NOT have antiplatele aggregatory properties. They will not prevent your platelets from clumping together to form clots that can cause heart attack and Stroke. They have anti-inflamatory properties only. So I will continue to take my one baby aspirin a day as well as enjoy the fresh fruits and veggies. I'll have all my bases covered that way.

Whats interesting to me is that I have been told my several doctors to take a baby aspirin a day... including my GP AND my Cardiologist.. funny how much docs differ.. isn't it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

03-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Again steve... Natural occuring salicylic acid does NOT have antiplatele aggregatory properties. They will not prevent your platelets from clumping together to form clots that can cause heart attack and Stroke. They have anti-inflamatory properties only. So I will continue to take my one baby aspirin a day as well as enjoy the fresh fruits and veggies. I'll have all my bases covered that way.

Whats interesting to me is that I have been told my several doctors to take a baby aspirin a day... including my GP AND my Cardiologist.. funny how much docs differ.. isn't it.
I'm sorry but in my last post I thought I made it clear.

I quoted: -

"Many of the salicylates share the same properties as aspirin, although its anti‐platelet action is specific."

Is that not enough of an admission Audrey?

I also pointed out that I have Asthma and unfortunately I do suffer a lot from nasal congestion too so I need to check with my doctor regarding aspirin, although he's not said anything advising me on ibuprofen and I have told him I do take it occasionally for arthritis pain.

Finally, I may be wrong here but I thought you were a little sarcastic in your last response but then I've found in the past that anyone who has any knowledge of medicine on forums tends to be a little condescending and patronising at times.

It's OK though; I'm deaf and you get used to being treated in this way. stevmk2
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

03-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I'm sorry but in my last post I thought I made it clear.

I quoted: -

"Many of the salicylates share the same properties as aspirin, although its anti‐platelet action is specific."

Is that not enough of an admission Audrey?

I also pointed out that I have Asthma and unfortunately I do suffer a lot from nasal congestion too so I need to check with my doctor regarding aspirin, although he's not said anything advising me on ibuprofen and I have told him I do take it occasionally for arthritis pain.

Finally, I may be wrong here but I thought you were a little sarcastic in your last response but then I've found in the past that anyone who has any knowledge of medicine on forums tends to be a little condescending and patronising at times.

It's OK though; I'm deaf and you get used to being treated in this way. stevmk2
In regard to asthma I was told ibruprofen and any NSAIDs similar to aspirin are to be avoided. It might be just in my case, but you might want to check on that (if you haven't already) because obviously, it might not be worth risking it. Incidentally, and off topic, I used to take Flixotide, serevent and Ventolin in the UK, but here my doctor changed me to Seretide, a serevent and flixotide mix,and it works way better for me, I need the ventolin much less now. Worth knowing if you ever have to move up in the asthma meds. It is more expensive which is why I believe my UK GP didn't prescribe it....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

03-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
In regard to asthma I was told ibruprofen and any NSAIDs similar to aspirin are to be avoided. It might be just in my case, but you might want to check on that (if you haven't already) because obviously, it might not be worth risking it. Incidentally, and off topic, I used to take Flixotide, serevent and Ventolin in the UK, but here my doctor changed me to Seretide, a serevent and flixotide mix,and it works way better for me, I need the ventolin much less now. Worth knowing if you ever have to move up in the asthma meds. It is more expensive which is why I believe my UK GP didn't prescribe it....
I know Margoletta - and I thought Audrey would have picked-up on that from my posts - but Thanks.

I asked my doctor about ibuprofen and he didn't say not to use it for my arthritis and he does know what I take and what it's for by now!

As a matter of interest, I had a problem when I was on holiday in Spain once and went to a pharmacy and he gave me Ibuprofen and I did explain about my Asthma - I'd just asked for a Ventolin so he seemed a good idea to double-check!

He said it was OK too, but not on a regular basis he said but he did say to watch out for any side effects, and the leaflet had English too so it was simple enough.

I haven't asked my doctor about aspirin - yet.

I've had a few problems with Aspirin before though so I just avoid it as much as possible. stevmk2

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top