Join for free
Page 5 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Re: Rolfe Harris

Originally Posted by eccles ->
He won't be sentenced until Friday, so not sure where this info has come from!
OK, thanks for that, Eccles.
Strange where these rumours start out.
... and I've just started it...

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 04:12 AM

Meanwhile in OZ...

The royal commission investigating institutional responses to child sex abuse has handed down its interim report, but says it has not yet compiled enough information to make any recommendations.

It is calling for an additional two years and $104 million in extra funding to complete the 70 public hearings they have identified as "essential".

Read full article here

The Royal Commissions interim report is available for download here

This commission is just dealing with institutions such as the Churches, Salvation Army and Charities. The stories it has uncovered are horrifying while the way these institutions systematically covered up the abuse is equally so. The report makes galling reading.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:46 PM

What's weird is every time I see Harris on TV now he looks uglier and uglier! Savile was always ugly & shifty looking, but Harris had a friendly look!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Should he have his paintings sent back or at least taken off public display ??this is being discussed on FB
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
What's weird is every time I see Harris on TV now he looks uglier and uglier! Savile was always ugly & shifty looking, but Harris had a friendly look!
Hardly surprising is it? How attractive would you be in the glare of that public humiliation and strain and media frenzy?

As for his paintings, he's a talented artist and I'd be chuffed to have one of his in my house, although I didn't like the one he did of the Queen a year or so ago. I can't see what the man's crimes have to do with the quality of his artwork.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Should he have his paintings sent back or at least taken off public display ??this is being discussed on FB

People who have previously bought his paintings for considerable sums of money, may now regret having done so, since the monetary worth of the paintings will have seriously declined.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
People who have previously bought his paintings for considerable sums of money, may now regret having done so, since the monetary worth of the paintings will have seriously declined.
Which is ridiculous when you think about it. You don't judge art by the morality of the artist, its supposed to be about artistic merit. Or not.
As it happens, I don't think Harris is or ever was a serious artist, just a celebrity who happened to have some ability to paint and made another angle out of it for his career.
So why should his 'art' go down in value? That means it was valuable because he was a popular, cuddly celebrity, rather than any intrinsic value. Now he is a 'monster', that all changes?
History shows us many great artists who you wouldn't want as a next door neighbour or a child minder. Caravaggio was a murderer; Schiele allegedly had sex with an underage girl; Picasso was a receiver of stolen goods; Eric Gill - incest and bestiality. Even recently, Graham Ovendon currently in prison for child sex offences. Their connection is that despite their offences, their art is still considered highly. The same goes for every other branch of the arts and every other field of human activity. If art or any other work only has merit because its creator lived or lives a blameless life, there would be very little left.
Vile as Harris's offences are, it is completely irrelevant to his 'art'. My own opinion is that people who buy art as an investment get everything they deserve if it loses its value -as they have no appreciation of what they buy anyway - its just a commodity to them. People who buy it because its a specific person and they like that person's output need to decide whether their feelings about the art changed due to feelings about the artist changing.
And if nothing else, the more his 'art' holds its value, the more compensation will be available to his victims.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Even the one of the Queen has mysteriously disappeared.

When all the celebs were first arrested (there seemed to be a glut of them) I was very sceptical, and couldn't believe those involved were actually guilty.

I probably didn't want to believe it of them. I take all those thoughts and words back.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 10:20 AM

I feel very sorry for those not found guilty I wonder how many will find this mud sticks, because who will remember which were guilty and which weren't. Oddly one's I were most sceptical about seem to be not guilty it's people I was sure were good kind people that were guilty.
Deepwater
vietnam
Deepwater is male 

04-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Being the type of sick society, we are, keep the paintings hidden, then in a few years time their price would have increase experdentually.

Page 5 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top