Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 08:59 PM

Re: Solo dining on the rise

Times have changed, men and women now go out alone nowadays. This has been happening at least for the past ten years that I know. Hundreds go on holiday alone, it is the norm. As you say a lot of people live alone some by choice some not. It is also accepted now for a woman to go into a pub on her own although I have only done this where the pub serves food. I am a member of a social group and also have friends whom I holiday with and have nights out with but there are times when I go it alone, most times you will end up talking to someone. I find most folk are friendly and like a chat with someone new.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Yes it was really good, it was called " Harvey" James Stewart" was the main character.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jean ->
More and more people now are living alone, seems the table for one in resturants is rising, would you go into a resturant all and dine by yourself?

I often do it for my evening meal, have done for years. Yesterday I just toddled down to the Thai place at the end of the street, got a table by the window, enjoyed my meal and watched the world go by.

Likewise I go to the theatre by myself, some people I have talked to find it intimidating and would rather miss out than go by themselves. Buggered if I can see that myself.

Actually there are times when I am with group of people at a restaurant that I wish I had come by myself.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 11:50 AM

Yes I would eat out alone if needs be, it doesn´t happen very often but it doesn´t worry me at all. I´m not much of a "foodie" but I´ve travelled abroad on my own for work reasons or visiting reasons and don´t have a problem eating alone in hotels, I quite like it, a bit of peace without having to make polite conversation. Most days here after shopping I will go and have a coffee and a snack, a quick read of a local paper, sit and people watch for a while before coming home. Sometimes I like being on my own.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks for all your replies, yes I would go I to to a cafe, but out for dinner alone....I would need extra nerve to do that. Guess living alone and dining alone takes a bit of getting used to!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:34 PM

If you weren't so far away - I'd go for a meal with ya Jean
It would have to be somewhere highly recommended though mind ......
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 02:48 PM

I eat out at cafes and store resturants when i go on day trips ,i never give it a second thought ,but thinking about it yesterday on my day trip i was only one in the resturant by myself , there was mainly couples and a group of ladies together.Ive also gone to Theatre by myself on several occasions .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:54 PM

I don't eat in restaurants much, preferring to find cheap places to eat, but I never give it another thought that I'm alone.

I think when you've had a partner for many years, the thought of dining out alone can be daunting to some. When you've BEEN alone all your life...then it's all you've ever known.

Suits me. And I agree that sitting with a book or paper can be pleasant.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 10:13 PM

I don't think twice about eating alone in a café or store restaurant but I wouldn't feel right going out in the evening to a swanky place all on my own.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 10:28 PM

I would go on a Picnic on my own, or to Morrisons Café.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top