Join for free
Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Re: Heartless Government

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
"offering bonds to rich pensioners "
What a load of rubbish, Wrinkly. These are available to ANYONE over 65 - in fact the amount you can invest is limited AND it's taxable.
If I was to have an anti Tory rant, I'd say that it's hardly the bargain that it first seems and we deserve a decent tax-free return on our savings.
Grumble wagon said :-----These are available to ANYONE over 65 - in fact the amount you can invest is limited AND it's taxable.

But not to the people that Mark refers to in the OP, how can the poor and destitute afford bonds, and if you are on benefits you have no money to invest, so these bonds are offered to rich pensioners.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
It is a general strike in Belgium on Monday,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30378351
Good for them - at least they are making a stand - rightly so !
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Good for them - at least they are making a stand - rightly so !
I think a bit more worker solidarity would be very timely. In the link I posted there's this quote:

The European Transport Workers’ Federation has welcomed the move, saying, “The Belgian
government is using EU austerity targets to penalize families, employed and unemployed,
students and the poorest of society rather than targeting the big capital that remains almost
untouched by the government’s austerity measures.”

I think that is absolutely what's happening here.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
I think a bit more worker solidarity would be very timely. In the link I posted there's this quote:

The European Transport Workers’ Federation has welcomed the move, saying, “The Belgian
government is using EU austerity targets to penalize families, employed and unemployed,
students and the poorest of society rather than targeting the big capital that remains almost
untouched by the government’s austerity measures.”

I think that is absolutely what's happening here.

Oh it is for sure - it was stated on question time and I also read it as fact somewhere. Don't get me started on the EU
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Wrinkly, you seem determined to re-define the meaning of "Rich". In fact you seem to be suggesting that anyone with a few pounds to save is "Rich". Of course there are those who cannot take advantage of these bonds, BUT - there are lots of us who have worked hard, looked after our families and managed to save a few pounds. We are , I suggest, the majority, and we are the ones who are being 'screwed' by this government.

These bonds are little more than a token gesture and are hardly going to be of interest to those who are genuinely rich. It's high time that we were rewarded for our prudence - not punished for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 12:07 PM

May just be my problem but when anyone says they worked hard etc saved etc I think exactly what are they saying ? Many many people work damned hard and never have money to save because their wages are so low they never have a chance to get ahead. As for being squeezed (don't like the other word) how can anyone complain when others are really suffering ? no jobs, no benefit, using food banks and charities ?
I consider myself lucky I am able to buy my own food etc even though we cannot save, why not look at what you have and feel happy you have it rather than moan about not having more ? when some have nothing !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 12:51 PM

Sorry Julie, but I've always believed that while the (vulnerable seems to be the word these days) should be protected and supported, success and prudence should be rewarded.
I don't consider myself 'lucky', I simply hope that I've made good choices in what was sometimes a bad situation.
'Rich pensioners' - I haven't met many!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:00 PM

I will gladly take part in the next Jarrow March, on one condition we are all armed to the teeth, Westminister here we come.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Sorry Julie, but I've always believed that while the (vulnerable seems to be the word these days) should be protected and supported, success and prudence should be rewarded.
I don't consider myself 'lucky', I simply hope that I've made good choices in what was sometimes a bad situation.
'Rich pensioners' - I haven't met many!
I am not against success being rewarded obviously it is as you have saved, some people and we are not vulnerable are just not offered the same chances in life. Education and jobs across the country are very varied and always have been IMO. Some have had family to look after and others a vocation like nursing etc which do not pay well and to say they are not successful just because they don't have money is rather shallow I think.

I love you seem to think prudence is why you have savings try being anything less than prudent on a life time of low wages !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

14-12-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I am not against success being rewarded obviously it is as you have saved, some people and we are not vulnerable are just not offered the same chances in life. Education and jobs across the country are very varied and always have been IMO. Some have had family to look after and others a vocation like nursing etc which do not pay well and to say they are not successful just because they don't have money is rather shallow I think.

I love you seem to think prudence is why you have savings try being anything less than prudent on a life time of low wages !

Very well stated !

Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top