Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Should we believe the news channels?

A few minutes ago, I was watching a news channel. On it, they came out with the phrase "Lancashire in Rochdale" then a little later "the temperature went down from minus 7C to minus 5C.

Both of those statements are, as most will know, incorrect. Rochdale is not even in Lancashire, and a temperature change from -7C to -5C is a rise.

Which made me think. These are relatively simple things to get wrong. So should we believe what they say in regards to more complicated issues?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Re: Should we believe the news channels?

I thought Rochdale was in Lancashire - isn't where 'our Gracie' found the biggest aspidistra in the world ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:18 PM

A difficult one FB we can rarely be 100% sure of anything we are told unless we know it to be true for certain ourselves.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Surely the news channels could be sued for lies?
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I thought Rochdale was in Lancashire - isn't where 'our Gracie' found the biggest aspidistra in the world ?
When Gracie found her aspidistra, it was...but since the '70's, its been in Greater Manchester. Not only that, Lancashire has never been in Rochdale.

Will admit, I did find it funny...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
If only. But just take a look at the newspapers. I think a huge amount of news reporting should be taken with a pinch of salt and a lot of common sense as there is so much propaganda about.
Fender Bender
By the pc

18-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
They would only issue an apology, then the whole thing woul be forgotten.
Fender Bender
By the pc

18-01-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A difficult one FB we can rarely be 100% sure of anything we are told unless we know it to be true for certain ourselves.
I do think though that they should tell some semblance of truth, in an unbiased manner.
Fender Bender
By the pc

18-01-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
If only. But just take a look at the newspapers. I think a huge amount of news reporting should be taken with a pinch of salt and a lot of common sense as there is so much propaganda about.
Shhh! Propaganda only existed in Nazi Germany, not the UK....
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:47 PM

There is a vast difference between a simple mistake and the harm done by deliberate bias and "manipulating" the truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top