Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 05:53 PM

Avocado and crisps

I've just been shopping - the local Asian shops are open long hours - and I've just realised something

I like avocados, and though I've known for years the sort of prices they are, it's just dawned on me in words of one syllable as it were, that they are more or less the same price as a packet of crisps, and probably better for me

So it looks like less crisps & Pringles in future, and more avocados
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 11:07 PM

Re: Avocado and crisps

hmm dont like advocados.. but OH and I love olives so a small bowl of olives have replaced our saturday night crisps..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
hmm dont like advocados.. but OH and I love olives so a small bowl of olives have replaced our saturday night crisps..
And I don't like Pringles, I think they are an apology for crisps.

I love the Walkers Extra Crunchy crisps, having tasted them nothing else comes close.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 11:27 PM

Avocados are exceptionally good for you, they have loads of health benefits,packed with vitamins, lower blood pressure and cholesterol and although high in fat it's the type that is good, omega 3 fatty acids. They are anti oxidant and anti-inflammatory which helps reduce risk of cancer and heart disease, also high in essential minerals.

Even if they weren't so good for you I love to eat them as a snack or slice them onto salad after dipping the slices in lemon juice to stop them going brown.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 10:34 AM

I love avocados. Like crisps, too, but rarely buy them. But I'm thinking you must get cheap avocados if they cost the same as a bag of crisps! Unless, of course, you always buy BIG bags of crisps...
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 10:44 AM

I love crisps and olives also but both are high in salt which is really bad for the blood pressure among other things. The olives often come in brine, it makes them extra tasty but sadly not very good for you.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 11:01 AM

My local greengrocer is selling avocados at 2 for £1-20p
Crisps are around 50p an individual packet; bulk packs and multiple packs would work out a bit cheaper. I think I saw top of the range Walkers crisps at 59p a packet recently

So yes, avocados are a bit more expensive, but not so much that it will make me eat crisps instead. It's only a few pence, and I don't eat avocados or crisps every day.
I did say "more or less".

The local Asian shops are very good for fruit & veg, I go there instead of supermarkets. They were also selling huge navel oranges at 4 for £1, and good prices for peaches & nectarines.
These shops have a pleasant, friendly, informal atmosphere, like proper, oldfashioned shops; they've got to know me, and often have a chat.

I also have a LIDL nearby, but I haven't checked their prices for a while.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I love crisps and olives also but both are high in salt which is really bad for the blood pressure among other things. The olives often come in brine, it makes them extra tasty but sadly not very good for you.
I like olives but not the salt so rarely eat them. My young grandchildren love them too, they have very adult tastes
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 11:41 AM

I think crisps are very addictive - fat and salt, is that what we crave? Something we have in the house only on high days and holidays; I find it easier that way, same with biscuits and cakes - if you haven't got any you can't be led astray!

Avocados are a recently found delight. I used to think I hated them, that they were greasy, they were bad for you etc. Not so - they are delightful, make a great snack squashed on toast with a splash of tabasco, and are good for you. Woo-hoo. Apart from the fact that they are calorific, so not 'sin-free', they are just lovely
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 11:49 AM

I love Avocados (usually eat them in a salad when on holiday abroad) but must admit I never know whether they are ripe or not when I buy them at home, and they never seem to taste the same.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top