Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 12:16 AM

Missed appointments.

So what do you think about the government's Missed plans to charge patients £10 for missing hospital or doctor appointments ten? Is it a good idea or not?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 06:34 AM

Re: Missed appointments.

I can understand the need for some sort censure on people who make appointments and just do not turn up . It is not only bad manners but it also throws schedules into chaos as GPs/Clinics generally allow a little time - in case they turn up - before taking the next patient in, this then means the subsequent appointments all start a bit later. It only takes 2 or 3 DNAs to throw the whole day out and have people complaining about being kept waiting.

Not sure fining people is the way to go but, by the same token, I have no other logical answer.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 07:06 AM

Perhaps they should concentrate on.

Making sure people can get an appointment in a reasonable time.

Opening 7 days a week to improve services for working people.

Actually treating people themselves instaed of farming them out to a consulatant after looking up things on thier computer.

Why is it a problem anyway, if someone does not turn up, you see the next patient, always plenty sitting in the waiting room.

Just more scams from under performing public sector parasites. Time for change.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 07:14 AM

My daughter was five minutes late for a blood test because of circumstances beyond her control, was told she had to make another appointment and was kept waiting half an hour for that one. I wonder if the patient should also get compensation for waiting!
ToffeeCup
Hertfordshire
ToffeeCup is female 

12-07-2015, 07:48 AM

That was not acceptable for your daughter to miss out a blood test because 5 mins late, in my experience they're usually short staffed in that area if it was a hospital.

I'm not sure about charging a patient if they don't attend but they should cancel the appointment if possible but it seems not everyone is considerate.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 08:07 AM

I used to work in the doctors surgery doing footcare. The amount of people who did not turn up was frustrating. I slotted folk in for half hour appointments which meant I would be waiting around for ages waiting on the next client.

I've been expecting these charges to come in for a long time.

The next thing is we will be charged for visiting the doctor .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My daughter was five minutes late for a blood test because of circumstances beyond her control, was told she had to make another appointment and was kept waiting half an hour for that one. I wonder if the patient should also get compensation for waiting!

My sentiments exactly Tessa.
They were re-tarmacking the road near the doc's a while back and the road was closed off.
I had to find another way round and it made me about 6 mins late. The old bat on reception told me off like a naughty 5 year old. I was so cross, and explained about the workmen, and she was really snotty with me, but reluctantly let me in. Then I got a second telling off from the Nurse who I seeing!
Yet the number of times I have sat there half an hour or even 40 mins waiting for THEM, without so much as an apology, makes my blood boil.

You don't get many other professionals as snooty as some of these medical people.
I do think its really bad when people just don't turn up and don't let anyone know though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 08:27 AM

Of course there will always be genuine reasons for missing appointments due to extenuating circumstances, but we do need to seek a method of ensuring that appointments are not missed without notification being given to the service provider, whose time is much too precious to waste in these times of great demand and need.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 10:06 AM

One of our local hospitals cut the number by ringing patients a day before their appointment to remind them and it gave a chance to give the appointment to someone who was willing to go at short notice. I would suggest patients have to confirm the day before, it could be done with an automated system and doesn't have to involve huge cost.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 10:08 AM

The appointment was at our surgery and when we got there there weren't any people waiting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top