Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 01:47 PM

Re: Charities want, want want!!

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Always ask how much of your donation goes to admin costs. for example the RSPCA

And where is that?

Head Quarters

Wilberforce Way
Southwater
Horsham
West Sussex
RH13 9RS

One of the most expensive parts of the country outside London. Why not move to the cheapest part of the county and save on rates etc

That is the type of place your donations help to run
I said this to my hubby earlier, Why don't they rent a couple of small offices in the middle of Wigan .. or Rotherham or anywhere that doesn't suck money from the charity meant to help animals not supply flash headquarters for admin staff.

Ridiculous, I don't give anything to the RSPCA now - sad, really as the animals suffer again.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thing is animals can be far more appreciative than humans .
They are simple beings they love us and don't grow up to resent us .
Quite frankly animals are just more loveable than our own species.
If it makes you feel good to think that a cat "loves" you or is "appreciative", go for it !
I cannot prove that it doesn't.

But common sense tells me that this loveable (able to be loved) animal functions with pure instinct and conditioning.
If it behaves in a certain way, it receives attention and even 'rewards'.
It learns how to get what it wants from that big ugly human.

Remember Pavlov's dog .... same thing.

Next, are you going to tell me that it has a 'soul' ?
Gee, if it is a good kitty will it go to heaven ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 06:38 AM

I know that cats don't really love us they do however appreciate being fed.
And they bring pleasure to many lonely people who perhaps have no one to touch and appreciate them .
( I don't have a cat at the present -there are enough old cats around without looking for them in the animal kingdom) however I have had cats in the past.
Dogs being more simple souls they do love their owners or in the case of Labradors anyone who knows where the biscuit tin is.The fact is that dogs like abused women do stay with people who abuse them when they could so easily run away shows they have feelings and feel love and affection .
If any animal has a soul it's far likely to be the dog than some of the two legged variety walKing the planet .
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Today the wife and I went to town, the charity buckets were being waved left right and centre, too many to donate to them all.

Cancer, heart foundation, air ambulance, an over seas one, big issue and a group of air cadets.

Needless to say, I wear my poppy with pride.

Roy
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:39 PM

The donations I make via direct debit to my charity of choice just about covers the cost of the phone calls the charity makes to me requesting I increase the donation and the glossy information they send me through the post.... crazy!!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 02:34 PM

Well I've just about given up giving to any charity these days, except in exceptional circumstances. But my will leaves most of what I have to various charities. At least when they get that they won't be able to pester me for more.
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well I've just about given up giving to any charity these days, except in exceptional circumstances. But my will leaves most of what I have to various charities. At least when they get that they won't be able to pester me for more.
No your quite right, but they will hound your relatives........We donated to Alzheimer's the same week as my mothers funeral last October 2014 in her memory......
the beginning of this month we had a letter from the same charity reminding us what we donated and asked if we were in a position to double the donation this year.

Your demise will not be the end of their requests.

Roy
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 06:42 PM

Today I have received an envelope full of Christmas cards from a charity, they want me to buy them and to post a cheque back to them in an addressed envelope provided, for which I have to buy the stamp.
I will not be buying them, and as it is unsolicited post I shall wait until they call to collect them, and if they are not collected in the allotted time I shall bin them.
I don't mind giving to a charity of my choice, but I will not be dictated to.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 06:49 PM

Its the same with the Political parties as well if you recieve an email from them they always ask if you can donate cheekey b******s!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by toyboyroy ->
No your quite right, but they will hound your relatives........We donated to Alzheimer's the same week as my mothers funeral last October 2014 in her memory......
the beginning of this month we had a letter from the same charity reminding us what we donated and asked if we were in a position to double the donation this year.

Your demise will not be the end of their requests.

Roy
Quite right. My Mum donated to an air ambulance and on her death I suggested mourners send money to this charity. I sent them a nice cheque (from myself and her neighbours at the sheltered housing home). They now don't leave me alone.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top