Join for free
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:27 PM

Re: What makes a gentleman

Originally Posted by MickB ->
For me, being a "gentleman" (or a lady for that matter) is nothing whatever to do with how you dress, what accent you have or how much money you have. It is about how you treat other people. My dad was a factory worker who never had two pennies to rub together, but he was a true gentleman in the way he treated other people with kindness, respect and charity.
That to me is the mark of a true gentleman too Mick
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
I remember when the art of undoing suspenders with the flick of two fingers was perfected, then woman started wearing those horrible sweaty tights
And I also remember well when the sixpenny piece fitted perfectly as a repair if one of my suspenders broke. This handy little coin fitted the loop perfectly on any one of my four suspenders - more than once I can tell you !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:37 PM

Well, that lets me out - I can't tie a bow tie.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
And I also remember well when the sixpenny piece fitted perfectly as a repair if one of my suspenders broke. This handy little coin fitted the loop perfectly on any one of my four suspenders - more than once I can tell you !
Ha Ha SG, the only good thing about a woman wearing horrible tights was when the car fan belt broke.

Today's young girls are attracted to bad-boys and I suspect many of the old ones are as well
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyboyroy ->
Unfortunately, Gentlemen are a dying breed these days and I mean that literally. I was brought up to respect my elders be polite to Girls/Women and never ever talk back to my parents.

I have always walked on the outside of a woman whilst walking down the street, open doors for her allowing her to pass through before I did. Rise to greet her and always offered my seat and adjusted it while she sat on it.

I could go further but most of you know the rest anyway.

The male of the species today are more interested in making sure that he is always first at everything and most of the young female species look for the attention but don`t deserve it unfortunately.

I still stop and stand head bowed when a hearse pass and touch my forelock ( I don`t wear a cap/hat.)

Roy
Roy your a treasure and so is my husband, you were brought up the way most people were in those day's and it's stayed with you, my husband has good manner's and treat's me with respect..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:46 PM

A gentleman is someone who is not embarrassed to still open doors or give up his seat on a packed bus or train for me. I can't say doff his hat because I never seem to see anyone wearing one anymore! the last one was an insurance salesman that knocked on the door years ago I opened it he doffed his trilby and said good morning just as the dog went for him because it thought he was raising his hand to attack me !!
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Roy your a treasure and so is my husband, you were brought up the way most people were in those day's and it's stayed with you, my husband has good manner's and treat's me with respect..
Why thankyou Sue, Needless to say I worship the ground my wife walks on also.

Roy
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-10-2015, 08:48 PM

[quote=dukeofearl;730533]ha ha sg, the only good thing about a woman wearing horrible tights was when the car fan belt broke.

Today's young girls are attracted to bad-boys and i suspect many of the old ones are as well:-d[/quote

The funniest thing was when we girls went to a Disco pub or dance with its Ultra Violet lighting where even the greyest white shone like the best Daz advert and showed our white bra's and just about everything else if wearing thin darker clothing !. We didn't care though, we were hussies on the prowl, if you had it you flaunted it !
(all very innocent I might add!)
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=shropshiregirl;730544]
Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
ha ha sg, the only good thing about a woman wearing horrible tights was when the car fan belt broke.

Today's young girls are attracted to bad-boys and i suspect many of the old ones are as well:-d[/quote

The funniest thing was when we girls went to a Disco pub or dance with its Ultra Violet lighting where even the greyest white shone like the best Daz advert and showed our white bra's and just about everything else if wearing thin darker clothing !. We didn't care though, we were hussies on the prowl, if you had it you flaunted it !
(all very innocent I might add!)
Oh yes SG I remember those days well, then you could see who was wearing what or not

Seems todays over 50 posters are not aware that a man no longer gives up his seat or opens a door for fear of degenerating responses from women , such as "I am quite capable of standing"...."I am quite capable of opening a door".
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Roy, you sound a lovely gentleman. My husband is the same.
I believe most men of our generation are. I haven't given up on the young youth of today though as many still give up their seat on packed trains if I am travelling anywhere.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top