Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Asp3
San Jose, CA
Asp3 is male  Asp3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 07:18 AM

Re: Polyamory

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
Yes, "swinging" was all the go in the "swinging 60s" but how many of those triangles/quadrangles have lasted?

It might work for some but there's usually one person who eventually gets tired of sharing and feels that someone in the triangle is getting a better deal than they are and the green-eyed monster appears and it all falls apart and someone gets hurt. I know because my partner got into the swinging scene 40 years ago, then moved into what he hoped would be a more permanent arrangement and it fairly quickly cost him his marriage, the mental health of one of his children and a great deal of money and he's regretted it ever since.
The big difference between swinging and polyamory is that the focus of swinging is on the sex and the focus of polyamory is relationships. People who are involved with the polyamory community have a great support system to set up and work on their relations with a greater chance of success. I've known several groups who've had multi-adult relationships with children resulting from the relationships who've been very happy together for many years.

However all it would take in the US would be about a 50% success rate to make it on par with traditional marriage success.

I would say that many people who get into polyamorous relationships are more aware of relationship dynamics and how to deal with them than people who get into traditional marriages.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 03:00 PM

Fantasies fizzle out fast and when you eventually wake up and find you have more than one woman to contend with and give you orders you won’t be long about getting rid of your excess baggage. Where are all the Swingers, Movers, Shifters, and Chandelier Shakers of the 60’s now? half of them are probably in the asylum for the sexually insane, try what you like but in the end one to one is always the best and safest way, in my opinion.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 05:11 PM

I musst admit that I have never come across any polyamorist relationships within the same gender although there is no reason why this should not occur. There are of course several reliigious sects particularly in the US were a man has many wives in the same vein as the ancient cocubines of China and the ME.

all these combinations are able to survive as long as all parties enjoy them and support them. The males who supported the cocubine relationships and those of the ME were also obliged to care for those [usually women] in the relatioship at all levels. Sso these relationships did afford the woman a safe haven in a sometimes cruel world!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 08:45 PM

In the circumstances that you refer to Gumbud, I don't think the women had a choice.
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 09:15 PM

Any man with more than one wife would surely have to qualify as a masochist!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Asp3 ->
The big difference between swinging and polyamory is that the focus of swinging is on the sex and the focus of polyamory is relationships. People who are involved with the polyamory community have a great support system to set up and work on their relations with a greater chance of success. I've known several groups who've had multi-adult relationships with children resulting from the relationships who've been very happy together for many years.
The swinging sex apparently went all right. It was when they decided to move away from that into a permanent triangular (polyamory) relationship that it all started to go wrong. OK for some but for me it would be extremely difficult to maintain any balance of equality in such an arrangement.

And there were five children in the house from the two marriages and I suspect it had a detrimental affect on at least two of them.
Asp3
San Jose, CA
Asp3 is male  Asp3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I musst admit that I have never come across any polyamorist relationships within the same gender although there is no reason why this should not occur. There are of course several reliigious sects particularly in the US were a man has many wives in the same vein as the ancient cocubines of China and the ME.

all these combinations are able to survive as long as all parties enjoy them and support them. The males who supported the cocubine relationships and those of the ME were also obliged to care for those [usually women] in the relatioship at all levels. Sso these relationships did afford the woman a safe haven in a sometimes cruel world!
A fair number of the polyamorous relationships I've been aware of have had at least one person in the relationship who is bisexual. It's often two or more that are bisexual in that case, but it isn't always the case.

I had read that more members of the lesbian community had been getting into polyamorous relationships but I haven't known any groups of lesbian polyamorists personally. I've also heard of gay male poly groups but haven't known of any of those either.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top