Join for free
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 08:01 AM

Make your own plant saucers

During the last few weeks, I have developed an interest in splitting small plants, cuttings, dividing etc. I think propagating sums it up.

Gravel trays are used but pots tend to be round, but for the same price,Wilkinsons sell square ones (three colours), and these I find tend to stand better, not only that they fit better in the trays.

Once the plants are in larger pots, they need saucers, square saucers, so I now cut the bottom off plastic milk containers and they are perfect. Not only that, if you vary the height of each base, you can have some that hold more water should you be away for a while.

Something else I utilise, is a tomato bag saucer. It's designed to house a tomato bag but I don't use it for that, I use it constantly filled with water, and as I have almost a hundred pot plants, I take it in turn to leave a selection in water overnight. Then top up water, leave for the day to rise in temperature, then after tea, plunge the next lot in.

One final thing, in the £1 shops, they have kitchen waste bins. Sometimes you can buy them reduced in price if the lids get broken. These make ideal plunge pots for larger pot plants.

and finally. If you ever see larger kitchen waste bins being sold ask if they have any "out the back" with broken lids and if so buy them. I have almost 30 in use. Drill holes for drainage and use for feature plants. They are much cheaper than standard pots, easier to store, easier to display and I've lost count people have said "oh, they're good, where did you get them?".
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 09:58 AM

Re: Make your own plant saucers

Thanks for the tips
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 03:23 PM

I love utilising things where possible Colin. I also buy the black tubs they put cut flowers in at supermarkets. They are often only about £1 for 8 or 10 tubs. I drill holes in the bottom of those and they are very useful.

I save no end of clear plastic dishes, all different sizes, to make lids for covering new seeds sown, and empty mushroom trays for standing small pots in.

Mt son despairs of me and all my old 'junk,' but I am sure there are many worse vices I could have.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 05:23 PM

I will try that for sure. I use anything I can lay my hands to say me money. No I dont mean my husband

I break up old polystyrene trays to put in the bottom of large pots for drainage. I use cut off lemonade bottles for pushing into the soil to water veg. I even use pistachio nuts shells to put round cuttings to try and stop the slugs. If you look around there is no need to buy these expensive things

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top