Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Re: The Thieving Magpie

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Such is nature EZ, man should know better though.
Regrettably man does know better but he still goes on the same.
Don't even get me started on the subject of mans inhumanity to man.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 05:47 PM

Ah that's sad Ez, but it's nature. I feed all the birds in my garden, so we also get Magpies, but this year and last year the Blue Tits have not nested in their nest box, don't know why!

We was driving down the road this morning and my husband accidently run over a baby rabbit, he slowed down for it, but the rabbit changed its mind and went back and got caught under our wheel, we could not stop as there was cars behind us, but my heart sunk.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 05:52 PM

Yep, man causes the roadkill that feeds the magpies, so it's hardly their fault if they feast on it.
If you look at a magpie up close, they really are beautiful, their feathers are not just black but shine all colours of the rainbow, the white ones are pure white.
Scarecrows work if you don't want them in your garden, they don't seem to affect the small birds, but crows and magpies think they're real humans.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 05:55 PM

I'm the scarecrow you find in my garden! I can often be seen running out there in my nightie first thing in the morning yelling SHOO! My neighbours must think I've lost one of my shoes.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 06:36 PM

Never seen any magpies here but jackdaws and seagulls do just the same .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Sorry but, I think magpies are beautiful, they have to eat and feed their babies too.
People kill to eat not always through necessity, I don't think we should shoot them, do you?
At least they're clearing up the roadkill and stopping it going rotten.
Try putting out some food they like to distract from the bluetits.
If it was a hawk or an owl it would be a novelty.
I agree TessA! I feed my magpies and crows with left over cat food and a few feet away I feed the tits with Fatballs. I never understand how humans can criticize creatures for killing to eat when , unless they are vegetarian, humans don't have a problem eating meat..... just because they don't have to kill it themselves.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:19 PM

There was a lot of magpie squawks the other night. I went out to suss out was happening.

Eventually a fox sneaked under the conifers and the magpies (four of them) were squawking overhead and looking down at it.

They were obviously stalking him as when the fox crept on quickly, the magpies followed overhead making that infernal squawking noise.

Eventually the fox jumped the fences and the magpies followed overhead in hot pursuit
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
..... I never understand how humans can criticize creatures for killing to eat when , unless they are vegetarian, humans don't have a problem eating meat.....
Not sure many of us "criticize creatures" for killing to EAT.

But when those horrible felines torture and maim millions of small native creatures every single day - not for food - but just for sport,
and leave them to die in agony over many hours or even days,
gee, I have a problem with THAT !

Must be strange.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree TessA! I feed my magpies and crows with left over cat food and a few feet away I feed the tits with Fatballs. I never understand how humans can criticize creatures for killing to eat when , unless they are vegetarian, humans don't have a problem eating meat..... just because they don't have to kill it themselves.
I never understand why humans feed wild animals. It is not good for the animals.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I never understand why humans feed wild animals. It is not good for the animals.

Tell that to the crow that came into my garden in a very poor condition who now looks extremely well and comes for breakfast every day. I always make enquiries to animal welfare experts, to make sure I will do no harm, but I will not sit back and watch the creatures around my home go hungry while I am throwing food in the bin.
Perhaps some people who visit your parks feel it is OK to give them anything they will eat... hence the warning note!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top