Join for free
View Poll Results: Would you vote to stay or go?
STAY IN THE EU 34 27.87%
LEAVE THE EU 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Page 118 of 131 « First < 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 > Last »
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 09:06 AM

Re: EU...IN or OUT?

That's what NATO is for isn't it? To keep people like Putin at bay. As for Trump I think the American voter will make the right choice.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
If you're an remain or exit, it's worth taking 20 minutes to watch this video featuring Michael Dougan. He talks quite fast so it takes some concentration but worth it I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y

I am definitely in the remain camp not because of the economic benefits but because of social benefits i.e worker's rights, environmental regulation.

It wasn't so many years ago we had no minimum holiday entitlement at work, now the minimum is 20 days.

I don't trust farmers to use pesticides, weed killers, anti-fungal agents or herbicides responsibly, I think they will use them to enhance their profits. I do trust the EU to take a wider view on their use.

I don't trust governments of Britain to properly regulate and hold accountable the financial services industry but I do trust the EU to do so.
An interesting speech but one that I would have liked to question him further on. In a very roundabout way he did mention that UK laws would eventually not be decided by our government, but by the EU... so this means that 28 countries will decide the laws, where very few will have experienced life here or which laws are required.
There was also mention of 3.5 million EU workers living in Britain, yet only 2 million Brits doing the same in the rest of the EU. This makes me wonder why so many EU residents want to work here but explains why so many other EU countries are keen for us to stay in.
His mention of the Single Market emphasized that it would be much easier to trade without having to make changes to our products...... but only currently if we sell to the EU countries . One assumes he is thinking that the EU will be able to put greater pressure on World Trade countries to accept the norm on products from the EU. I appreciate it may be difficult, but I wonder if world trade would be more accepting of British goods, which can be created to their specifications, and opt to trade with us rather than the EU. I know many countries have said they would be happy to trade with Britain.
He declared that all the leave campaigners were liars, yet chose not to discuss Immigration, which is a major consideration for all those who want to leave. If we leave I am sure that , this being a major worry, would encourage voters to vote for the parties that agree to seriously restrict immigration. Of course all parties would have to change their ideas on immigration, if that was a vote winner.... because they could be out of a job if they don't.
It seems that this speaker may also find his work less in demand, if we leave, because he made it clear that he had spent his life teaching and understanding the laws that control the EU union...... I winder if that also had some influence on his decision to remain
It certainly hasn't changed my mind, but may have added to my decision to leave.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
An interesting speech but one that I would have liked to question him further on. In a very roundabout way he did mention that UK laws would eventually not be decided by our government, but by the EU... so this means that 28 countries will decide the laws, where very few will have experienced life here or which laws are required.
There was also mention of 3.5 million EU workers living in Britain, yet only 2 million Brits doing the same in the rest of the EU. This makes me wonder why so many EU residents want to work here but explains why so many other EU countries are keen for us to stay in.
His mention of the Single Market emphasized that it would be much easier to trade without having to make changes to our products...... but only currently if we sell to the EU countries . One assumes he is thinking that the EU will be able to put greater pressure on World Trade countries to accept the norm on products from the EU. I appreciate it may be difficult, but I wonder if world trade would be more accepting of British goods, which can be created to their specifications, and opt to trade with us rather than the EU. I know many countries have said they would be happy to trade with Britain.
He declared that all the leave campaigners were liars, yet chose not to discuss Immigration, which is a major consideration for all those who want to leave. If we leave I am sure that , this being a major worry, would encourage voters to vote for the parties that agree to seriously restrict immigration. Of course all parties would have to change their ideas on immigration, if that was a vote winner.... because they could be out of a job if they don't.
It seems that this speaker may also find his work less in demand, if we leave, because he made it clear that he had spent his life teaching and understanding the laws that control the EU union...... I winder if that also had some influence on his decision to remain
It certainly hasn't changed my mind, but may have added to my decision to leave.
And mine Twink.
And thank you for a very well thought out post which must have taken ages to write for us to read.
But do you ever go out and smell some Coffee or Roses?!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
And mine Twink.
And thank you for a very well thought out post which must have taken ages to write for us to read.
But do you ever go out and smell some Coffee or Roses?!
Not when it is throwing it down!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Not when it is throwing it down!
I know what you mean as it is pouring down here as well.
Which is why I am now following intently everything you have to say on anything at all.
Have you ever been stalked before?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

20-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
I know what you mean as it is pouring down here as well.
Which is why I am now following intently everything you have to say on anything at all.
Have you ever been stalked before?
Frequently, haven't you noticed how many men walk round limping?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Driving through West Sussex and Surrey this weekend the leave posters out weigh the remains by about 50 to 1.

Chatting in the laundry room at the site not one of the ten people sheltering from the rain want to stay in.

I'd like to think it's not just leavers are more vocal.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

20-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Driving through West Sussex and Surrey this weekend the leave posters out weigh the remains by about 50 to 1.

Chatting in the laundry room at the site not one of the ten people sheltering from the rain want to stay in.

I think many older people who joined the Common Market are now feeling cheated. It could have been good for trade but the decision to make us a united country was never mentioned, and if it had been I feel that few would have supported entry. Everybody is keen to win this vote, but I suspect that close on 45% of the voters will be disappointed
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

20-06-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

And that is my experience as well Julie.
Apart from all of Gibraltar and perhaps most of Scotland who will vote to remain, I can't really see how Brexit can lose this one.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Does the EU want to accept the former communist countries, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia, so that they cannot be safely annexed by Putin as he has done in the Crimea?

Page 118 of 131 « First < 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top