Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Re: The English language

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
There are many excellent schools and great teachers here in the States, but unfortunately far too many mediocre ones and some disgraceful ones in the inner city that can only be described as holding pens! Too much "teaching to the test", too many cutbacks on the arts, music, and creativity in general! You have pushed my button, Bob!

And spoken English isn't up to snuff... it's appalling how many commentators on TV cannot pronounce Arctic and February, to name just two words ..... I despair!

End of rant .......
Dandysmum, I deplore the American spelling of ENGLISH words particularly those that should end in OUR, but which in America is shortened to OR - Colour, flavour etc, etc being just two examples. If Americans are going to use the ENGLISH language, then they should at least have the common decency not only to pronounce it correctly, but to SPELL the written words correctly too!!!
james
London, UK
james is male  james has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Language changes and develops all the time to a changing world. The meanings of the actual words changes as well. It becomes hard work reading the older novels because of these changes. Even not so old ones display this problem. Try the Bond novels, to be honest I cringed at some of the language and attitudes reflected in them, or go back to Sherlock Holmes.
Language does not stagnate or if it does it becomes a dead language. Welsh and Latin do not cope with the modern world. Welsh has to crucify English words for modern technology.
Now having said that I struggle with a lot of the younger peoples posts on Facebook, but then remember that a function of youth is to rebel and piss off the older generation. I did it daddyio. Cockney slang was another way to reject the proper world.

PS at a personal level I loath all text speak. I understand its development in texting, buggry little keyboards for starters. It is however just another form of closed world jargon.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 10:56 AM

You are right about language changing all the time James, some words that were commonly used in the 60s, you can be locked up for using them today. The young will always try to use new trendy words simply to confuse the older Folk, we did it, we had our own words for the things that were important to us at the time. Ever tried to read some of the 'Olde English' stuff of bygone years?, baffles me completely.
james
London, UK
james is male  james has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Dickens is hard work, Chaucer is a foreign language, before Shakespeare there was no "proper" spelling for words. His spelling apparently varies within the works.

but on meanings I cut and paste from elsewhere for this
"The word character is from a Greek word which means a tool for engraving, but it became transferred by association to the marks made by the tool. The name then became generalised and it now means any peculiar or distinctive mark or quality, which we use to recognise an object.
or a character, to mean a person somewhat unusual

or of character to mean thought of with esteem."
The actual word grew in meaning over the centuries.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Let's not forget the dozens of different bible translations that rip the language to pieces. From the original King James Version to the Living Bible we change language in an attempt to understand it's meaning.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 02:01 PM

I made a comple fool of myself some time back on the BBC cookery forum. There was one group of people who were really stuck up and would talk about this particularl restaurant in Paris or Rome and this particular cheese or wine that you could get in these places. At every opportunity this one particular woman would try and make fun of me because although I love to cook I am certainly not a 'foodie'

Well she was really sarcastic about a sea food recipe that I had commented on and I answered her back by saying that she was rude and very clicky. I felt such a nut when she replied that she thought I might mean clique. Was my face red? yes it was. even thinking about it now makes me
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Well, I wouldn't bother Cookiecate - she was the rude one, not you - I think it is bad mannered to point out minor errors in language - especially when everyone knows what is meant. Some people can get very snobby about language and I think insecure people often use it as a tool to make another person feel inferior.
james
London, UK

16-04-2011, 08:45 PM

I do often find that those who attempt to put people down over spelling are lacking in self worth. They present a constant need to prove an assumed superiority over others.
I love it when they spell a word wrong though
English English is increasingly a minority form of English. Chinglish is one of around 34 forms of English spoken around the world.
In trying to recall the term I googled and found that surprise number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Forms_of_English
All proof that like it or not it is a vibrant living language
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

16-04-2011, 11:33 PM

I dont agree with either of you !

I think Forums etc are the very best place for someone who , for whatever reason didnt learn to spell properly or has poor grammar and punctuation skills , can learn how it`s done correctly and in such a way that people understand them and dont think they are stupid .

If you dont point out peoples spelling errors then they will continue to make them , wont they ?

You would have to be tremendously thick to have been around Forums and the Internet for a few years and not realise that your spelling things incorrectly or that sentences start with a Capital etc .............

Embrace the technology and use it as an opportunity to inprove yourself , I say

I really dont give a Continental if anyone agrees with me on this or not , but do I know that people are judged on , and by , what they type .......... Whether folks will admit to that or not is another matter , but it`s my opinion to which I am entitled

P.S .............. It`s glaringly obvious if some has made a typo as opposed to spelling error , especialy if they continue to keep making the same ones ........... LOLOL

P.P.S .......... ... I learned a new word today thanks to
dandysmom , ( Eileen ) it was "syzygy".................. As soon as I saw it , I went off and gogled it .......... If you are a curious person you will learn and thrive .
Thank you Eileen x x x
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote with corrections:

I dont agree with either of you !

I think Forums, etc, are the very best place for someone, who, for whatever reason didnt(didn't) learn to spell properly or has poor grammar and punctuation skills , can learn how it`s done correctly and in such a way that people understand them and dont(don't) think they are stupid .

If you dont(don't) point out peoples(people's) spelling errors, then, they will continue to make them , wont(won't) they ?

You would have to be tremendously thick to have been around Forums and the Internet for a few years and not realise(realize) that your(you're) spelling things incorrectly or that sentences start with a Capital etc .............

Embrace the technology and use it as an opportunity to inprove(improve) yourself , I say.

I really dont(don't) give a Continental if anyone agrees with me on this or not , but do I know that people are judged on , and by , what they type .......... Whether folks will admit to that or not is another matter , but it`s my opinion to which I am entitled.

P.S .............. It`s glaringly obvious if some has made a typo as opposed to a spelling error , especialy(especially) if they continue to keep making the same ones ........... LOLOL

P.P.S .......... ... I learned a new word today thanks to
dandysmom , ( Eileen ) it was "syzygy".................. As soon as I saw it , I went off and gogled(googled) it .......... If you are a curious person you will learn and thrive .
Thank you Eileen x x x

End Quote

I used to be a proof reader for the US Military. It's part of my nature, after 8 years on the job, looking for errors in writing and correcting them. I'm not wiser, more intelligent or attempting to educate anyone. I'm simply pointing out some of the things that stick out in people's writing.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top