Join for free
Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 09:44 PM

Re: Non EU countries

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Honestly JBR that is pretty much what we had under our 2016 EU membership. We didn't have schengen, we didn't have the Euro, we could easily have said we don't want any army or single state membership. I think we were already in the doughnut or whatever they call it and not part of the jammy centre.
Nobody has free trade with the EU it was always as you seem to have admitted earlier not entirely free. Why should it be free? It's a big market and lucrative. All markets of major economies have barriers to entry. Why wouldn't they?

All the stuff people moan about has always been under our control (blue passports, immigration, our sovereignty). For some reason Britain bends over backwards to follow Eu rules when other members don't. It's beyond me why.
I agree with you.

Why should we be half-in and half-out...

when we could be completely out?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 09:45 PM

You think commonwealth citizens care about Britain and would forgive all the bad blood? I think you need a reality check. Do you realise what the Empire did to some of those countries.?
We shall see. Stand by for incoming egg on your face!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

And welcome they were and still are. People from the Commonwealth brought wealth to themselves and more importantly, to the UK, when they chose to live here.

I hope we can make amends to them once we leave.
Amends mean open borders between Britain and the former commonwealth countries. Considering some people I know voted Brexit because they didn't want immigration I will be interested to see developments in this respect.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-10-2018, 09:48 PM

We won't be able to afford British forces the way the negotiations are going.
The lovely Mrs May has already cut them to the bone, so apparently we shall not have to!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-10-2018, 09:50 PM

How many times are you going to continue to use that personal cliche instead of addressing the issues in a post that goes against your desperate optimism? It's wearing as thin as your underpants!
For as long as you continue to assure us of your desperate pessimism!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with you.

Why should we be half-in and half-out...

when we could be completely out?
Because when we were half in we were getting a lot of jam for our half-inness. It was a good deal and we could have made it a hell of a lot better had our politicians made an iota of effort.

Being completely out means no jam and siberia. If you think the EU are being awkward in negotiations just wait to see what they are like when we are pressing our nose against the glass. They will no doubt put up every barrier to us getting trade deals with other nations and who can blame them? They protect their own and we won't be part of that gang any more. The reason all these nations (such as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland) join is because it is more beneficial for them to be in than out.

I can see Canada joining in ten years. They would love it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-10-2018, 09:52 PM

Amends mean open borders between Britain and the former commonwealth countries. Considering some people I know voted Brexit because they didn't want immigration I will be interested to see developments in this respect.
I'm not so sure that countries like Australia would want open borders. Otherwise they'd be inundated with Brits looking for a better life.

At least until the UK gets back on its feet, which admittedly may take a few years.

Worth it, though, to regain our sovereignty.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-10-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
For as long as you continue to assure us of your desperate pessimism!
I see answers are thin on the ground. Perhaps if you explain your optimism with a bit more detail as to what logic underpins it, it will give us all a bit of cheer?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Because when we were half in we were getting a lot of jam for our half-inness. It was a good deal and we could have made it a hell of a lot better had our politicians made an iota of effort.

Being completely out means no jam and siberia. If you think the EU are being awkward in negotiations just wait to see what they are like when we are pressing our nose against the glass. They will no doubt put up every barrier to us getting trade deals with other nations and who can blame them? They protect their own and we won't be part of that gang any more. The reason all these nations (such as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland) join is because it is more beneficial for them to be in than out.

I can see Canada joining in ten years. They would love it.
Uh, oh. You're right. The sky IS falling down!

Am I worried? Do I believe you?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-10-2018, 09:57 PM

See what you've done, Solasch? You've stirred her up again. We'll never hear the end of the assurances that our world is coming to an end.

Still, that's her opinion and she's entitled to it.

Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top