Join for free
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 06:22 AM

Re: smart metres

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
It has been nearly five years and they still have failed to fit a new meter.

The problem for my energy supplier is that our meter is the old fashioned disc type with two digital readouts, one for cheap rate and one for peak rate.

This meter slows down when the solar system generates power, and goes into reverse when it generates more than we use.
Doesn't the electricity company pay you for the surplus power you generate and feed into the grid?

That is one of the reasons why you need a smart meter because it can cope with power going in or out and knows the difference.

The electric companies here were stalling on fitting smart meters because they were getting the surplus power for free so the government had to legislate to make them fit a smart meter promptly once a solar system was installed.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I wasn't talking about the smart metre. I was talking about the "internet of things" which is a big project with a far wider scope than smart metres. How the internet of things will force us to invest in gizmos and use more (scarce) power in the future when we are doing fine as we are.
Actually, a lot of things are much efficient in power. In my field, power electronics, have improved in leaps and bounds. Large cement works, paper mills, gas plants, Improved Static Kramers etc...

But there have more prosaic examples. Light bulbs are now much more efficient - we have some super lights in our home. And they are 11W units compared to the old filament 100W filament lamps. Cars are another example. Mine regularly topped 65 mph and that is for an exec. Compared to my Jag at 15 mph.

Just a few for example examples.........
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

That is one of the reasons why you need a smart meter because it can cope with power going in or out and knows the difference.
Power units have been doing that for as long as I can recall without smart meters.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 10:19 AM

Doesn't the electricity company pay you for the surplus power you generate and feed into the grid?

The electric companies here were stalling on fitting smart meters because they were getting the surplus power for free so the government had to legislate to make them fit a smart meter promptly once a solar system was installed.
Yes, we do get paid for the surplus power that we generate, but they buy it at a much lower rate than what we pay when we buy it from them.

We have a separate power generator meter, but it is not a smart meter. Homes with micro-generators need a different type of smart meter to the type most people have.
When the energy company came to fit the first smart meter they said it was the wrong type and wouldn't work.
Because the new meter wouldn't fit where the old one is, we would need the cables replaced with longer ones to reposition the new one, but said we had to pay for the work to be done.

We had all that done, they set a date to come and do it, but never turned up.

I believe that the first generation (pun intended) of smart meters won't work with a different power company's equipment so changing suppliers means the "smartness" is lost.
I think the newer meters are now to a national standard so they will work with any company's kit.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Power units have been doing that for as long as I can recall without smart meters.
Mine don't, power going in or out is all the same to it.

The only difference between my meters and this one is that one of mine has two phases the other a single phase but off peak.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

20-02-2021, 10:26 AM

The only difference between my meter and this one is that one of mine has two phases the other a single phase but off peak.
Some do. Certainly in the industrial field that I have encountered.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-02-2021, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Some do. Certainly in the industrial field that I have encountered.
I am sure that if I lived in a factory that would be the case but alas I live in a house and have to make do with this meter.

If I ever get solar I will get it changed.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 07:14 PM

The only difference between my meters and this one is that one of mine has two phases the other a single phase but off peak.

My meter is identical to that one. When we generate more than we use, the wheel goes in the opposite direction to that shown on the arrow, and the dials also go backwards.

It does discern between power in and power out, but you can't tell without continually looking at it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 07:25 PM

As was said before, the reason why we are all encouraged to have smart meters is so the energy supplier can charge more at peak times leading to variable billing
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I don't want a smart meter because it will cost me money. In fact, the threat of having one has already cost me money, even though one has yet to be installed.

We had solar panels installed nearly ten years ago. Being an honest sort of chap I told my energy supplier.

The energy supplier said, "Ah, we aren't charging you enough. You need to haver your meter changed."

Not knowing any better I said, "Okay, change my meter."
They came. They looked. They said, "Ah, you will need to extend the tails from the main fuse at your expense because the new meter needs to be repositioned. We will arrange for Alec Trician to visit and and extend the tails."

That cost me sixty quid.

The power company returned to inspect the extended tails and said, "That's all okay, we will arrange to fit a new Smart meter on X date."

It has been nearly five years and they still have failed to fit a new meter.

The problem for my energy supplier is that our meter is the old fashioned disc type with two digital readouts, one for cheap rate and one for peak rate.

This meter slows down when the solar system generates power, and goes into reverse when it generates more than we use.

The power company know this because I have told them, and because they have visited our home. Their problem is that they failed to replace the meter when they said they would.

Fitting a new meter would mean I only pay for the power we use, whereas at the moment we pay for what we use less what we generate. The consumption and generation rates are drastically different.

We should pay a lot more for the power we use compared to the amount we get paid for what we generate, but this is not our problem.

Until and unless we are forced to replace our sixty year old meter, we will quite happily accept the power company's errors on how much we are charged.

By the way, there is a time clock such that we are charged at a lower rate for off peak electricity as opposed to high peak charges.
Unfortunately for our power company, that clock has slipped over the last sixty years and now it sets off peak from early morning to early afternoon.

Guess when we decide to use most of our electrickery.

I have kept all correspondence and communications to and from our energy supplier just in case they ever say, "you ain't paying enuff."

My reply will be T U uff, Tuff!
Excellent! It just shows that inefficient bureaucracy can be very advantageous to us!
Don't worry. I shall not breathe a word of it!

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top