Join for free
Page 17 of 33 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 07:39 PM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Disciplined countries, like the UK, with sensible government,
Sorry that's just too funny.

Up till 3 years ago a civil servant in greece could retire at 55 with full benefits (his pension was 100% of his former salary).
Question remains, will countries in north europe be capable to teach southern countries to act disciplined. The UK citizens have already given their answer.
That's so patronising to Southern Europe. This is the region that contributes most to European culture. The Greeks and the Romans are what made us who we are now.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'd love to know what would have happened to us for bending the rules. I am not sure about France, but Germany is no a stickler for Eu rules. We are for some strange reason. Is this just laziness on our part? Every single EU member seems to bend the rules or interpret them to their advantage.

Or perhaps that is what has been done in the UK - interpretation in order to cater best to mediocre strategy? So a bit like working to rule - nothing gets done (because it wouldn't be anyway as it's hard work to get it right), and you can blame the EU?
They do, Annie and then spend as much energy as possible in slagging off the UK ......You only need to see Solasch's comments to sense the barely disguisable sense of inferiority that powers the European vitriol against us.

There is no point in being a fastidious and net contributing member of the EU when their louche and self serving attitude flies in the face of our national virtue and integrity.

We need to go our own way. We can't change them and they wont change us!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 07:51 PM

That's so patronising to Southern Europe. This is the region that contributes most to European culture. The Greeks and the Romans are what made us who we are now.
Contributed......past tense.

It's 2018 not 318BC..
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 07:54 PM

Not denying that. But there is also no denying that there is an enormous economic gap between north and south europe.
Moscow
Scotland

22-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Just careful not to say UK when I don't intend to include the Scots and Welsh.
It's not possible to go down that path unless you are supporting Nationalist causes.

With regard to Brexit, Wales voted Leave, England voted Leave and 1million Scots in Scotland voted leave. Many thousands more Scots living in England voted Leave

So which Scots and Welsh are you including or not including in your little gameplay.
Moscow
Scotland

22-10-2018, 08:08 PM

Not denying that. But there is also no denying that there is an enormous economic gap between north and south europe.
There is.

That's one of the many problems with the EU.

Trying a one size fits all economic policy that is based on the primacy of highly sophisticated, industrialized, North European type economies such as Germany and France tht generate income consistently over 365 days per year and expecting much more seasonal, rural and less industrialized nations and communities fit that model and then heavily punishing them when they fail.

Do you know that French and German banks profited to the tune of £2billion from bailout loans forced on to the Greek nation?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
It's another example of your contempt and disdain towards the UK.
They do, Annie and then spend as much energy as possible in slagging off the UK ......You only need to see Solasch's comments to sense the barely disguisable sense of inferiority that powers the European vitriol against us.
It's either inferiority or superiority you can accuse me of. Not both at the same time.
In my post I try to give my side of view, not hampered by a previous choice made in a referendum. Like some others on this forum I am aware of the shortcomings of the EU, but in my humble opinion the benefits outweigh disadvantages. Even for the netcontributors.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 08:12 PM

I read all these comments about EU countries ignoring the EU rules if they don't suit - so let me ask the question.

If all the rules are being ignored/broken without sanction, what is the point of the EU making the rules in the first place, further what is the point of the EU?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-10-2018, 08:20 PM

That's one of the many problems with the EU.
And because of those problems you are out of the EU on 29 march 2019. There is no arguing that, and no way back.
Isn't it time to look at the future and prepare for the consequences. Have you got any idea what the consequences for you personally will be? Or just waiting to see what will happen and afterwards commenting on it?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-10-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
I read all these comments about EU countries ignoring the EU rules if they don't suit - so let me ask the question.

If all the rules are being ignored/broken without sanction, what is the point of the EU making the rules in the first place, further what is the point of the EU?
Why should you want to know? The EU is something of the past as far as the UK is concerned. The war between Sparta and Athens is probably just as informing.

Page 17 of 33 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top