Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 09:37 AM

Re: Spring is just around the corner.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I sowed my first seeds on Thursday - tomatoes and leeks and I set my onion sets in a seed tray to get rooted before I transfer them to the garden.
I was always of the opinion not to transplant onion seedlings as the odour produced attracts and encourages onion fly Alan
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I was always of the opinion not to transplant onion seedlings as the odour produced attracts and encourages onion fly Alan
I always grow my onions from sets Malcolm and I've NEVER had onion fly but I always lose a few to 'white rot'. I start them off in a seed tray to root so that when I transplant them into the garden they get hold right away.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 09:55 AM

I am amazed how many daffodils are out already, we have 'Daffodil Sunday' at the 'big house' down the road at the end of March they will all be finished then this year.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Me Missus and I are at the age when we no longer wish to spend countless hours weeding. She is the patient one. She would start at one end of the garden pulling up weeds and making everything tidy. By the time she had done all of this back-breaking work, the weeds were growing at the beginning where she had started.

This made us introduce Operation Black Out.... We dug down a few inches after taking out the weed roots, laid a black garden material, and covered that with ornamental slate chips. No more weeds..!!!!

A couple of weeks ago, beneath our small trees, we espied beautiful snowdrops. Aren't they such lovely flowers? Harbingers for the spring.

...... but they had somehow managed to grow through that black material, and force their way through the slate chips..!!

Isn't nature wonderful??
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:03 AM

If the snowdrops are breaking through you can bet your life that the 'weeds' will be doing so too !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Keep the dutch hoe on the go throughout the spring and summer and you'll keep on top of them.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 04:05 PM

I planted some late summer flowering bulbs in pots so I can transplant when I've sorted the garden out. I am so ready for Spring!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:58 PM

My seeds in the greenhouse are sprouting, primroses on the grassy bank outside my garden, they put me in mind of this song that I love,.
Some lovely flower pictures to go with it in this video, hope you like it!

annemuldoon
Carlisle UK
annemuldoon is female 

26-02-2016, 12:02 PM

Oh dear its taking a long time to arrive this year, Spring I mean. I have been out a few times to rearange the garden, I have taken the Arch down as it was getting rusty but now it looks bare,keep standing at the window with an idea then going away, never mind it will hit me then we will be off. Joe is glad i think!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by annemuldoon ->
Oh dear its taking a long time to arrive this year, Spring I mean. I have been out a few times to rearange the garden, I have taken the Arch down as it was getting rusty but now it looks bare,keep standing at the window with an idea then going away, never mind it will hit me then we will be off. Joe is glad i think!
Yes Annie, it will be lovely when Spring does arrive and we can get out in the garden and enjoy the warm sunshine and see the plants growing again.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top