Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Re: Katie Hopkins latest

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I think if the couple in question kept a lower profile, it would help enormously. I don't know what the remarks were on Twitter, I don't bother with such rubbish, but they obviously hit home.
Why couldn't they ignore them because, from what I can gather, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!!
I expect the couple in question will come out of all this whiter than white! If you're being bullied on Twitter then don't use it, simple.
It is so horrendous from what I've read, I don't know why anyone wants to use them ......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
The tables have tragically been turned in this case and to spread misery and hatred can sadly mean that the hatred catches up with you.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that is a different matter to threats and causing fear and anguish. An opinion is simply an opinion.
There should be no place for internet trolls and their extreme bullying just as bullying is seen for the serious issue that it is in schools and the workplace.
Perfect post
Agree with Plantman too
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I think it's good that these internet bullies who hide behind anonimity are exposed and shamed, perhaps if this was to happen more often the bullies would be more reticent to do it in the first place...
From what I have read, the lady in question was in no way a bully. The McCanns were never on Twitter so not a single one of her "tweets" was directly to the McCanns, they were just part of an ongoing discussion about the Madeleine McCann situation. Nor were her "tweets" in any way threatening or violent (unlike some of the responses she received from McCann supporters). It is true that she was obsessed with the McCanns (to the tune of almost 5000 tweets on the subject) but her opinions only reflected what many people in the UK (possibly even a majority) think about the situation. This obsessed and misguided woman was basically bullied to death by Sky News for daring to express her opinion - very sad!
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 03:34 PM

I find it extremely odd that people get sooo excited about, what simply amounts to digits on a screen.

If I opened my frontdoor and somebody was stood there shouting abuse at the top of their voice in terms of wishing me dead, then I'd be concerned but seeing it written on a noticeboard probably wouldn't faze me that much.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
From what I have read, the lady in question was in no way a bully. The McCanns were never on Twitter so not a single one of her "tweets" was directly to the McCanns, they were just part of an ongoing discussion about the Madeleine McCann situation. Nor were her "tweets" in any way threatening or violent (unlike some of the responses she received from McCann supporters). It is true that she was obsessed with the McCanns (to the tune of almost 5000 tweets on the subject) but her opinions only reflected what many people in the UK (possibly even a majority) think about the situation. This obsessed and misguided woman was basically bullied to death by Sky News for daring to express her opinion - very sad!
That is sad - if it were the typical usual threatening or vile posts, then no sympathy, in this case, she should have got out of the situation rather than perpetuating it .......
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I find it extremely odd that people get sooo excited about, what simply amounts to digits on a screen.

If I opened my frontdoor and somebody was stood there shouting abuse at the top of their voice in terms of wishing me dead, then I'd be concerned but seeing it written on a noticeboard probably wouldn't faze me that much.

If someone wrote on a public forum that you were a thief and that they had proof or if they wrote disgusting things about a member of your family you would get upset about it, the written word is a powerful thing.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I agree my use of the term bully was wrong and I really should have said trolls, which is actually what I was referring to., although I would argue most trolling is a form of bullying by anonimity.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 05:02 PM

I would probably think they had mental health problems and ignore it tbh. Unless of course they did have proof in which case they were telling the truth.

The written word is only a powerful thing in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't in and of itself have any power at all.

Originally Posted by Anita ->
If someone wrote on a public forum that you were a thief and that they had proof or if they wrote disgusting things about a member of your family you would get upset about it, the written word is a powerful thing.
Baxter8
Somerset

08-10-2014, 05:04 PM

I did have a good old chuckle at this though:-

Alan Sugar on Katie Hopkins and Luisa Zissman:

'They'd go to the opening of an envelope if they got an invitation'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I did have a good old chuckle at this though:-

Alan Sugar on Katie Hopkins and Luisa Zissman:

'They'd go to the opening of an envelope if they got an invitation'
FAB ! - I love a bit of Sugar

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top