Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 07:03 PM

Re: Cameron says no to sugar tax?

What do you call obese? Big enough to cast a shadow? Too heavy to be blown away by a light breeze?

Yes, some people are obese, some disgustingly so, but please tell me where the majority are so that I can see for myself. It certainly isn't around here. The majority of people look perfectly normal to me.
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Bring back rationing. Wartime diet proved healthy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Rainmaker and Meg I agree with your remarks about personal responsibility.
But I ask you this...should we have carried on with our post war smoking habits as in the 40s and 50s killing ourselves, with advertising everywhere and no controls?
Lots of us were giving it up, being responsible for our own lives, but tobacco was and is a killer.

Sugar is no different. Consumed in large quantities it leads to huge health problems and obesity. AND MOST OF IT IS HIDDEN!

I agree Nom, legislate against the food manufacturers! But the government won't do that. Oh no. So they continue to be totally corrupt.

Are you really suggesting there should be no controls?

Isn't it better to be proactive rather than reactive?

I agree with Ruthio and Nom.
Let me quote part of an article I saw:

"Taxing anything only penalises the poor. Sticking a few pence on sugary drinks won't even begin to solve the obesity problem.

Smokers didn't stop smoking when the Government jacked up the price of cigarettes, but they DID start to cut back when tobacco firms were forced to splatter gruesome of rotting lungs and throat cancers across the back of fag packets.

What might work is making food and drink manufacturers label their products with how many teaspoons of sugar they contain in BIG, BOLD lettering. Many of us haven't a clue what 70 grms of sugar looks like, but we can easily picture 14 teaspoons of sugar. The Government should force manufacturers to do this.

Also, if parents know one fizzy drink has twice the recommended daily amount and they STILL let their kids have it, then they are willfully putting that child's life in danger. And it has to stop.

We have to find ways to limit the amount of sugar we eat - not tax it."

That opinion made more sense to me. It's the manufacturers the Government need to hit.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 09:31 PM

The bloody poor are the problem. Anyone heard of water?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 09:37 PM

You are all barking up the wrong tree. Nothing works bar for hitting someone in the pocket. Some ideas help but only financial disincentives hit home. I've never said hit the poor but I have said hit the big business who do not have a conscience and are only driven by greed. Same old bloody story and has been played down through the ages. We live in a free economy that isn't the playground for those that have a conscience. It is the government that has to play the roll of the overseer - the guardian of the masses, else we will all be sold down the river to the lowest cost price every time.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 12:00 AM

Is Jamie right to ask the Government to impose a Tax on Sugar?

Many years ago in 1972.Professor and Nutritionist, John Kudkin, wrote a book about the damage White Sugar does to health. He said Sugar was ‘Pure White, and Deadly
And parents took notice, as lots of children had rotten teeth as well
Then there was not the same supply of Snacks and Fizzy Drinks and Junk food.

Children love sweets, cakes, and Ice cream so it is difficult to deny them these sweet treats

Some much food these days has a great deal of added sugar and may Fat Free Foods have extra sugar to compensate.
We do need some sugar for the brain to function and this usually comes from Carbs and fruit

There is also natural sugar like Honey and Pure Cane sugar. Also Stivia and Navita very strong and expensive

Dates and figs can also replace sugar.
Prunes act like a laxative, best not eaten if going out.
However, it will not be possible to tax sugar, as all food eaten to excess will have a bad effect on the body.

I do know a few women who seem to live of cakes, and they seem quite healthy, but, sans teeth or.. they take them out at night!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top