Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:16 PM

Cameron says no to sugar tax?

Where is democracy when one person can block such a proposal? It sodding well works.

Lets take this a step or 2 further - why would Cameron block such a tax against such strong evidence? Exactly, why? Why indeed. It stinks, just like the hiking of prices of cigarettes stunk in that the companies behind the production of such poisonous stuffs were also able to assert pressure on the government of the day.

Cameron is in power for so many years but obesity related illnesses will overload the NHS eventually but does that bother him? Obviously not.

'Something rotten this way comes' - yet again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:19 PM

Re: Cameron says no to sugar tax?

I should think he'll be stuffed either way Mark. He will be condemned if he allows another tax and condemned if he don't.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:21 PM

I couldn't agree more MKJ, it does stink, and I'm furious about it!

All the convincing evidence anyone needed was there in that programme we talked about recently, it was so bloody obvious, but no, Cameron kowtows to the corrupt food industry, blinkered short myopic w****r

However, take heart, I believe public pressure might yet cause him to do a Uturn.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I should think he'll be stuffed either way Mark. He will be condemned if he allows another tax and condemned if he don't.
So, every sod gets fatter and fatter - great.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:36 PM

The trouble is, if people can't afford sugary stuff they'll go for artificially sweetened stuff which is just as bad as sugar onlyin different ways.
I don't understand why sugar or anything has to be added to fruit drinks in the first place.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 10:38 PM

Surely it isn't just the sugar content though? What about the fat content of things. All these snacks and nibbles for a start, let alone chocolates and cake. What about taxing those? It's not just about sugar is it.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

22-10-2015, 11:40 PM

No need to complicate the issue - hit sugar and leave it at that for now.

Simplicity is the key to many quandaries - works for me - keep bloody well focused.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 06:48 AM

Could it be there was a deal with sugar bosses?
Government cut fundng to research and sugar companies took over some of that funding.. Is Cameron unwilling to rock the boat?

https://www.rt.com/uk/231639-sugar-i...ealth-scandal/
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Why should the whole population pay the price just because some people can't control what they eat? What happened to taking personal responsibility for your own life instead of expecting the government to constantly clear up after us?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Could it be there was a deal with sugar bosses?
Government cut fundng to research and sugar companies took over some of that funding.. Is Cameron unwilling to rock the boat?

https://www.rt.com/uk/231639-sugar-i...ealth-scandal/
Dr Aseem Malholtra, a cardiologist and Science Director at the medically led Action on Sugar, told RT the findings were “disturbing.”

“I think it's quite disturbing. I think the public would be appalled that the people advising them on what they eat are receiving money from the food industry.”

“We know that biased funding for research is one of the root causes of problems within healthcare at the moment. Whether it's food industry funding or pharmaceutical funding.”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top