Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Re: To Whom it may Concern - Please don't Spoil Our Site .

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Oh dear. Closed minds syndrome. Not good, especially for someone like me. Maybe the title is wrong for this forum. Some over 50s are still very young at heart and 'with it' whilst others are far from it obviously.

If you can't open you minds to alternative ways of thinking then that is a shame and a pity. Closed minds are what causes a lot of trouble and friction between the young and the old. I don't suffer from it thankfully and will discuss anything with anybody too.

Having an 'Adult Humour' section would have avoided the problem in the first place presumably but I doubt whether that would keep all happy either. The very idea that it is on the site at all is probably one step too far.

To be told to 'bugger off' though is just rediculous. No doubt this remark is pointing at me so I will say no I bloody well won't unless the mods ban me or I decide to bugger off on my own accord (which will probably happen now as if I can't speak my mind at all times then why should I bother at all?).

Sheesh. Imagine what this forum would end up like if we all thought alike - like Alan that is. Doesn't bear thinking about in fact.

Think I will take Alan's advice and start looking around for a different forum though as my time on here is obviously numbered.
What a load of 'hogwash'
what are you talking about - 'closed mind syndrome' - because we dont have 'your' sense of humour. Your post is self indulgent and tactless.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Oh dear. Closed minds syndrome. Not good, especially for someone like me. Maybe the title is wrong for this forum. Some over 50s are still very young at heart and 'with it' whilst others are far from it obviously.

If you can't open you minds to alternative ways of thinking then that is a shame and a pity. Closed minds are what causes a lot of trouble and friction between the young and the old. I don't suffer from it thankfully and will discuss anything with anybody too.

Having an 'Adult Humour' section would have avoided the problem in the first place presumably but I doubt whether that would keep all happy either. The very idea that it is on the site at all is probably one step too far.

To be told to 'bugger off' though is just rediculous. No doubt this remark is pointing at me so I will say no I bloody well won't unless the mods ban me or I decide to bugger off on my own accord (which will probably happen now as if I can't speak my mind at all times then why should I bother at all?).

Sheesh. Imagine what this forum would end up like if we all thought alike - like Alan that is. Doesn't bear thinking about in fact.

Think I will take Alan's advice and start looking around for a different forum though as my time on here is obviously numbered.
In essence, I agree with you MKJ but not everyone who doesn't enjoy base humour has a closed mind - they just don't find it funny. I don't have a closed mind but I don't find that type of humour amusing. I accept that there are those who do but to brand everyone who doesn't like it as being closed-minded is a bit of a sweeping statement!

(all said in a calm, friendly tone )
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
What a load of 'hogwash'
what are you talking about - 'closed mind syndrome' - because we dont have 'your' sense of humour. Your post is self indulgent and tactless.
Don't think so. My mind is way open. Is yours? Seems to me it isn't as you get offended by quite a lot it seems. You have a bee in your bonnet about quite a lot of subjects. This equates to having a 'closed mind' to me. Not fully but partly that is.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
In essence, I agree with you MKJ but not everyone who doesn't enjoy base humour has a closed mind - they just don't find it funny. I don't have a closed mind but I don't find that type of humour amusing. I accept that there are those who do but to brand everyone who doesn't like it as being closed-minded is a bit of a sweeping statement!

(all said in a calm, friendly tone )
Not a sweeping statement this time at all. It applies to certain parties only. Who they are is up to them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Don't think so. My mind is way open. Is yours? Seems to me it isn't as you get offended by quite a lot it seems. You have a bee in your bonnet about quite a lot of subjects. This equates to having a 'closed mind' to me. Not fully but partly that is.
Open to what .....garbage !
Thats what you talk as far as I'm concerned, I'm not offended by you in the least. 'Anything goes' for you - thats fine, just dont shove it down my throat, or anyone else that dont agree with ya .....
At least I've got opinions on things and speak my mind, better than going with the flow .....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 04:48 PM

'Respect' for others - wouldn't go amiss either .....
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

04-06-2013, 04:55 PM

I'm only a newbie so not really entitled to comment .... but I will anyway.

On any forum I hate it when anyone says they are going to leave.

Please please don't anyone here dig themselves a pit so deep they feel they have to go.
Things can get out of hand ... people squabble .. people flounce ... things get said.

And there's many a forum ended up the poorer for it as some of the best posters leave or feel alienated .

I think this seems a nice place with a good mix of interesting people.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
'Respect' for others - wouldn't go amiss either .....
You are barking up the wrong tree with that approach with me. What you are talking about is a version of control.

Anyways I don't want to upset you or Alan or whoever as you seem nice enough. Bit uptight but ok otherwise.

The way I look at it the last thing you want is to stop thinking and speaking your mind. It is similar to not exercising your body and you deteriorate rapidly. It was great to see all the barmy ideas flying around on the 'dodgy' subjects. It was a lot of fun and now this. Everyone on the defensive and upset and no real way to patch it up either.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

04-06-2013, 05:02 PM

steady on cobber steady on - they weren't talkin about you but me - you have been doing supreme since you arrived keep it up - you have just the right sort of 'get up and go' personality needed - hangin in there bros the best is yet to come! - Nil illegitmus carbarundum - or words to that effect
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:03 PM

It was great to see all the barmy ideas flying around on the 'dodgy' subjects. It was a lot of fun and now this. Everyone on the defensive and upset and no real way to patch it up either.
From what I've read, the thread hasn't been removed completely, just to the Adult section so the fun can carry on with those who want to post on it.

I don't think people are upset really, some just got a bit hot under the collar and will calm down. Typical forum life really.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top