Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2016, 08:43 AM

Re: I Brake For Squirrels!

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Elk are large animals too. I can see they would be a problem, Norway.
Do you get a lot on your roads then?
We see the odd deer here, but they mostly keep off our roads. Some places in Britain do have problems with them though.
Elk and Deer are frequently seen on some roads, their routes were there long before the roads came.
It is a legal requirement that if you hit one with a car you must immediately report it and wait at the scene until someone comes 1) to find the animal if it has been able to get away from the scene and B) to put it down if it is still alive and suffering etc.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2016, 08:49 AM

To get back too the OP, the first time i saw a Grey in Northumberland my natural instinct was to run it over. I did not even though i know how damaging they are too our Reds, and birds.

A lordy landowner hired a bloke to cull them on his lands and this he did well, but the landowner decided to stop. Shame but im seeing them more and more, they even have special feeders for the Reds, where the heavier Grey falls, through a trapdoor that the lighter red does not trigger.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
To get back too the OP, the first time i saw a Grey in Northumberland my natural instinct was to run it over. I did not even though i know how damaging they are too our Reds, and birds.

A lordy landowner hired a bloke to cull them on his lands and this he did well, but the landowner decided to stop. Shame but im seeing them more and more, they even have special feeders for the Reds, where the heavier Grey falls, through a trapdoor that the lighter red does not trigger.
Oh I like that We had Red ones for a few years but I think the cats which had gone wild have seen them off. Most of the cats have now been shot so hope the squirrels come back again
Norway
i

13-09-2016, 10:43 PM

Just one Cyrill

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1340.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1910  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2016, 11:44 PM

I never brake for anything...

Squirrels, pedestrians, wombats, dogs, potoroos, children, kangaroos, rabbits, cats, emus just bounce off.

Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2016, 02:41 AM

You'll need a scoop to get the cats, mate.

Otherwise, if your aim is not good enough to get them with a wheel, they'll just pass underneath.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2016, 11:25 PM

Pummy, I thought of you tonight.

There was an interesting programme on telly about different animals, and part of it showed how the Koalas were dying out because of man wrecking their Eucalyptus forests, and building roads and railways through the Koala's home and food sources. Very sad to see I thought.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 01:43 AM

I agree completely. Not sure what the answer is though.

The population is growing quite rapidly (largely through immigration) and needs to be housed and fed.
How does one do that without encroaching on koala areas close to necessary infrastructure like schools and hospitals and transport etc ?

For what it's worth, some might find this interesting

" Between 1888 and July 1918 our records show that at least 4,098,276 Koala furs passed through London auction houses
https://www.savethekoala.com/sites/d...es/FURUK_0.pdf
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There was an interesting programme on telly about different animals, and part of it showed how the Koalas were dying out because of man wrecking their Eucalyptus forests, and building roads and railways through the Koala's home and food sources. Very sad to see I thought.
Unfortunately true but they are appearing in some unexpected spots.

"Koalas appear to have returned to a coastal strip near Wollongong in the Illawarra, in a rare reversal of the usual trend towards extinction.

An infrared camera placed about 5 kilometres from Mt Kembla, west of Wollongong, caught footage of the marsupial in late August.

Koalas are thought to have become extinct to the area in the 1930s when land was cleared for agricultural purposes."

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top