Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 01:35 PM

Re: The Thieving Magpie

Good for you Twink.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Not sure many of us "criticize creatures" for killing to EAT.

But when those horrible felines torture and maim millions of small native creatures every single day - not for food - but just for sport,
and leave them to die in agony over many hours or even days,
gee, I have a problem with THAT !

Must be strange.
When cats do as much damage to wildlife as humans do, I may be prepared to listen to your complaints about them.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When cats do as much damage to wildlife as humans do, I may be prepared to listen to your complaints about them.

Very true
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 05:22 PM

We can eradicate feral cats. Unfortunately, we cannot do the same with people.

Few people torture numbers of small native creatures every day just for fun.
Cats do.

Because man harms indigenous wildlife by habitat destruction, roadkill, pollution etc etc does not mean that the cat problem should not be addressed.
UNLESS cat-owners and those who are loathe to destroy feral cats really do not care what suffering felines cause.
In which case, they are most certainly not true animal-lovers.

To say "let's not even try to minimize the carnage caused by cats because humans do damage too" is really very, very cruel.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
We can eradicate feral cats. Unfortunately, we cannot do the same with people.

Few people torture numbers of small native creatures every day just for fun.
Cats do.

Because man harms indigenous wildlife by habitat destruction, roadkill, pollution etc etc does not mean that the cat problem should not be addressed.
UNLESS cat-owners and those who are loathe to destroy feral cats really do not care what suffering felines cause.
In which case, they are most certainly not true animal-lovers.

To say "let's not even try to minimize the carnage caused by cats because humans do damage too" is really very, very cruel.
It may surprise you to know that very many animals torture their prey, but then you have to spend time with animals to see that Pet dogs attack children, but that is often down to the human owner that encourages aggression. The only reason that cats don't eat their kill is because humans feed them, so they do not need the food, yet they still need to maintain their hunting instinct because not all cat owners will provide for their pet till it dies. My cats often bring live baby rabbits home and release them in the house, so I return them to the group of rabbits that they have probably come from. Unless you have a good experience of caring for cats, which I don't think you do, your arguments don't stand up. If you care about your local wildlife I would certainly establish how much humans do to harm them by putting poisons down to get rid of pests in the garden or kill insects on their crops. Local farmers keep cats in order to kill the rodents, like rats, in and around their property.
You can form whatever opinion you choose, but I have had cats for over 40 years and understand them very well. Cats are extremely good as pets because it has been discovered that they can reduce blood pressure in humans, just by sitting in their laps.
Now don't get too stressed Pummy or you may find that you need a pet cat
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 08:57 PM

It may surprise you to know that very many animals torture their prey, but then you have to spend time with animals to see that Pet dogs attack children, but that is often down to the human owner that encourages aggression. The only reason that cats don't eat their kill is because humans feed them, so they do not need the food, yet they still need to maintain their hunting instinct because not all cat owners will provide for their pet till it dies. My cats often bring live baby rabbits home and release them in the house, so I return them to the group of rabbits that they have probably come from. Unless you have a good experience of caring for cats, which I don't think you do, your arguments don't stand up. If you care about your local wildlife I would certainly establish how much humans do to harm them by putting poisons down to get rid of pests in the garden or kill insects on their crops. Local farmers keep cats in order to kill the rodents, like rats, in and around their property.
You can form whatever opinion you choose, but I have had cats for over 40 years and understand them very well. Cats are extremely good as pets because it has been discovered that they can reduce blood pressure in humans, just by sitting in their laps.
Now don't get too stressed Pummy or you may find that you need a pet cat
+1,

I love cats.......
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 10:16 PM

The average Blue Tit young ster will devour 100 caterpillars a day, meaning in an nest of 10 youngsters 1000 butterfly's, moths, or insects will not survive, and Blue Tits can have several broods a year.

So Thieving Blue tits anyone
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 12:08 AM

Cats do do as much damage as humans do. They have wiped out whole species. They kill millions of native animals each night.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodi...at-felis-catus
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

01-06-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Cats do do as much damage as humans do. They have wiped out whole species. They kill millions of native animals each night.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodi...at-felis-catus
Then can I suggest that you blame the ignorant idiots that brought them to your country and get your animal welfare people to catch and neuter all the feral ones? That is what we try to in the UK and we don't find any of our local wild life becoming extinct because they are murdered by cats. It is the people of Australia, not the cats, that is causing the problem!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

01-06-2016, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
The average Blue Tit young ster will devour 100 caterpillars a day, meaning in an nest of 10 youngsters 1000 butterfly's, moths, or insects will not survive, and Blue Tits can have several broods a year.

So Thieving Blue tits anyone
@ Nom.
Nom I feed the Blue tits and many other birds that visit my garden and I haven't noticed ant extinct insects in my garden.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top