Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Re: Am I being unfair?

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Me too - when you and others are so 'quick' to judge
I'm done
Originally Posted by deylon ->
My friend and I have known a 95 year old man for many years, he is now been in a residential home not far from us for a couple of years, we used to go to see him every so often together , but now my friend is making excuses not to go , she says she feels depressed after visiting the home.I have gone on my own a couple of times and he always asks how she is. It makes me angry that she wont put herself out to see him,he has no family ,only a few friends. I too feel sad and depressed when I visit, he is a lovely gent,and I feel my friend could /should make the effort to visit him ,we dont go regularly or often, although both in our 70's /80's we are both younger than him, and he cant get out of the home .Am I being unfair expecting her to visit ?
To get back to the original question....going on the facts you've given...I'd say no you aren't being unfair.

Others don't agree. (See above) That's fine, surely exactly what you'd expect when you pose a dilemma to a mixed forum.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Hang on a minute - no one has said Deylon is being unfair
Don't bloomin stir - for the sake of it
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 05:47 PM

The home is quite a nice one,there is a conservatory we usually sit in where we can be private, the staff bring tea and biscuits,there is also a garden when the weather is nice,true a lot of the residents sit and doze,but there is usually something going on for them ,a quiz,exercise,sing along.But as you say maybe it makes my friend upset and see her future,only its easier when there are two of us to find something to talk about
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
The home is quite a nice one,there is a conservatory we usually sit in where we can be private, the staff bring tea and biscuits,there is also a garden when the weather is nice,true a lot of the residents sit and doze,but there is usually something going on for them ,a quiz,exercise,sing along.But as you say maybe it makes my friend upset and see her future,only its easier when there are two of us to find something to talk about
I'm sure your friend is agonising over this - but you know her best - maybe she would go now and again if you talked about it
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Maybe your friend could write a short chatty letter for you to take with you. He would then not feel that he is being forgotten by her. It doesn't have to be pages long, just enough to let him know what she has been doing and that she is thinking of him.
This is a difficult situation as you are trying to do what is best for the old gent and not feel frustrated by your friend.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

29-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Great idea
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Interesting views here,The reason I get upset is because I feel for the man,if my friend doesnt come he asks about her ,so what do I say ? Last time I just said she couldnt come and left it there , but I wont be able to keep saying that.It is no use her writing a note to him as his eyesight is not good. When my SIL went into a home my nephew said people stopped visiting her,I dont want this to happen to my dear old friend
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

29-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Have you had a heart to heart with her
It would clear the air and hopefully she could go to see him but less often
Its a compromise
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England

30-06-2015, 07:44 PM

I spoke to my friend today and the subject came up, I said to her that I am going to make a regular time to visit him,I said I dont like seeing him there but I dont want him to think wed forgotten him ,my friend just replied that she isnt forgetting him. I think a lot of her she is a caring person but will not put herself out to do something she does not want to do [ Do it later type,] she doesnt seem to realise she could be upsetting the old man, as ,in her mind she will go ' sometime.' She is not a deep thinker either.I feel so frustrated as I dont want him hurt ,but it seems I can do nothing
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 07:58 PM

I'm sorry you're having this problem.

I think that making a regular commitment as you've described is exactly the right thing to do. It shows you to be a lovely caring person who is capable of putting this elderly gentleman's needs first occasionally.

I repeat what I said previously, though I realise that others don't agree, that so long as you are getting on with it she will sit back and let you.
It's all very well for her to say she hasn't forgotten him, but how is he meant to know that?
It's so true that actions speak louder than words.

The only other suggestion I can come up with to call her bluff, as it were, seeing as she has now softened and said she will go " sometime" (though I don't believe that for a minute) is to ask her if she would be willing to do alternate visits with you.
That way he doesn't feel dumped and you share the burden.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top