Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Plusnet Fibre Review

You might have noticed from my Sky Fibre Broadband Review, that we ditched Sky's fibre in favour of Plusnet - so here's my review. I'll add to it as we go along.

I'll start off by saying I really wanted to give Plusnet a good review, I really did! But unfortunately they haven't got off to a good start. We were booked in to have their BT Open-Reach engineer come out and install the open-reach modem yesterday... but they didn't turn up

To make matters worse, I was on hold for over half an hour when I tried to call them, and when they promised to get someone to call me back (from BT) within 4 hours, they did not.

Although technically, this is BT's fault - it still forms part of the service with Plusnet, and Plusnet is owned by BT too, so, there really is no excuse for such mix-up.

I was however impressed with Plusnet sending me out their own router, which I got the day after I placed the order - so it really does look like Bt has let them down. But still, that's neither here nor there when you consider that we were without a telephone line for one day, and currently without any broadband (I am posting this via my phone!).

I'll update this when it finally goes live, and see whether all this pain was worth it - but for now, I would recommend caution

Current recommendation status: Warming to it.

With a few major blunders (engineer fails to turn up; 4 days without any service; then speeds not as promised) and so consequently not feeling all that impressed to begin with, I am now warming to it thanks to two things; the speeds have improved (tho not quite to 79Mbps yet) and the router seems to be quite powerful - I can sit in the garden and get 10Mbps whereas with my Sky router I could barely get a signal! Additionally, I can get 1Mbps right at the back of the garden, which is quite a distance!

So I would currently recommend anyone thinking about it to give Plusnet a good hard look - just be prepared for downtime, long waits holding while calling, and slow initial speeds. I'll keep this review updated, so check back for updates!

Speedtests: (All wireless unless stated otherwise)

14 July AM

13 July (Sunday)

12 July PM

12 July AM

11 July PM

11 July AM

10 July (10pm)

10 July PM

10 July AM

09 July

Updates/Log

Friday 4th July - Intended start date

I call at 10 am to check whether they have any idea what time the engineer would be here - they say anytime between 1 and 6.

BT Openreach engineer did not show up between 1 and 6 pm

Called around 5.30, no answer till 6.15 ish. Said someone would call me back within the hour.

Received call back from 'Supply team' - they said order was marked as complete (why didn't they mention this when I called in the morning?), they got BT on the line and I was asked for alternative dates. I said Saturday, Sunday, or as soon as possible (Or ideally, an emergency engineer to pop down tonight - BT are bound to have engineers on call surely).

They said someone from BT would ring within 4 working hours to confirm the appointment.

Saturday 5 July

10am, haven't heard anything so I contact them. Was told someone from their supply team will call back urgently, I asked what time the supply team was open till, was told 6pm.

5pm, still nothing. Contact them again and they said supply team are not open on the weekend! Said someone would contact me first thing Monday morning.

Monday 7 July

10am, still nothing! I contact them again. Says that someone from supply team will contact me within 2 hours.

1pm - still nothing!!!

2:20pm - Answer phone message from a Plusnet manager, said a BT engineer would call within the next 4 hours.

5.30pm - Nothing, so I call back, and after holding for 40 minutes finally get through to the manager. Said as BT had not called back he would chase it up.

A little while later I get a call from Plusnet asking for suitable days - I give them tomorrow morning - Tuesday 8 July AM appointment. So hopefully the BT engineer will be here tomorrow.. I am not holding my breath tho!

So why the mix up? Why did BT put the order down as complete? Well the manager said that as a previous fibre connection was detected in this property, BT assume a Bt Openreach modem is already here (apparently, it's a postcode potter with SKY - sometimes you get a BT openreach modem, sometimes you don't!) and so that's why they market it as complete.

They have refunded my the first month back - which is £10. That won't even cover my data charges for the mobile usage over the weekend but I guess it's at least some sort of goodwill gesture...

Tuesday 8 July - 2nd time lucky?

We shall see!

Ok Engineer has installed the Openreach modem this morning. Says that Friday's visit was probably booked as a box call - just to make sure our line is connected to the fibre box (and so not an installation appointment as Plusnet said).

He also said that as the appointment was to 'fix' an issue, he could not install the fibre extension kit - so Plusnet would need to rebook them to get that installed.

Quick speediest shows wired speed of 35mbps, and wireless varies from 15 to 35 - so we're still not getting the full 79Mbps they have promised. I have asked them to look into it... will keep you all posted.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Re: Plusnet Fibre Review

Hope so Azz - we're with PlusNet ......
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 12:55 PM

At least you avoided Talk Talk.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 02:54 PM

I've been with Plusnet for a few years now and my only problem is that I keep losing connection. They've sent BT Openreach out to check the line and all seems to be OK. They told me in the first place that its normal to lose connection once a day. I'd be interested to hear if it happens to anybody else.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Hello gal - I wonder if its to do with the exchange ?
We are with PlusNet and have had slowness on occasions - we switch the router off for a couple of minutes, which usually works .....
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 03:55 PM

I'll try that thanks Patsy. I did wonder if it was the router which is the original so quite old. They said they would send us a new one but only if I sign up for another 12 months. Because of the problems I'm not sure if I want another 12 months of the same.

I must say they've always tried to help sort out the problem and its good that calls are answered in the UK.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Check Amazon or Argos for a new router, if you see one, check with PlusNet that it is suitable, if so, you can buy one ........
Val J
East Yorkshire

05-07-2014, 06:27 PM

I never thought of buying a router as the last one was free when I signed up. Just had a look on Amazon and there are hundreds, just wouldn't know which to go for. I think I'll end up putting up with this one until it drives me crackers.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Yep - I understand that
You may be able to 'buy' one from PlusNet, other than that it may be best to go into a shop that sells them, they could guide you then ........
Just a 'future' thought for when you go nuts
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
and its good that calls are answered in the UK.
Where else would they answer them from

Surely no one these days continues to put up with overseas call centres speaking bad English, reading from a script, and generally making ones heart rate leap

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top