Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Re: Avocado and crisps

Originally Posted by Meg ->
And I don't like Pringles, I think they are an apology for crisps.
You know what's funny is here in the states, Pringles is the only snack we call crisps (probably because it says "potato crisps" right on the can). Everything else is a potato chip.

I too love avocado, but I could never use them to replace my potato chip habit. I've heard about those Walkers crisps and snacks. I'll have to buy some, I think they can be ordered from Amazon because Walkers is a UK thing, I don't believe we have them here. But I've heard they're very good.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 11:58 AM

They should 'give' slightly when you hold them Shirley, they shouldn't have any black marks on the outside or be too soft as they will likely be black on the inside too.
The ones which have a shape like a normal pear - a longer 'neck' have been ripened on a tree and are better and more flavoursome.
I often buy them a bit underripe and leave them on a window ledge for a few days.

I'm not sue I would order the Walkers crisps specially Linda, I think Pringles are a bit nicer, Walkers are very salty but I think they have reduced the salt a bit.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I'm not sue I would order the Walkers crisps specially Linda, I think Pringles are a bit nicer, Walkers are very salty but I think they have reduced the salt a bit.
Chips that are too salty can definitely ruin the experience. The ones that I would order aren't available anyway. Amazon has all these weird flavors (prawn cocktail? really?) so I doubt I would pay extra to order them.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Thanks for that Anita will make it easier for me when I next buy them.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 12:44 PM

Avocados are exceptionally good for you, they have loads of health benefits,packed with vitamins, lower blood pressure and cholesterol and although high in fat it's the type that is good, omega 3 fatty acids. They are anti oxidant and anti-inflammatory which helps reduce risk of cancer and heart disease, also high in essential minerals.

Even if they weren't so good for you I love to eat them as a snack or slice them onto salad after dipping the slices in lemon juice to stop them going brown.
Never ever had one, but if there that good I shall be trying one
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Anita the ones I love 'Walkers Extra Crunchy' vary but they can be very salty , I don't eat them often for that reason usually as part of a picnic meal as a treat.
They are like the luxury thick cut crisps without the greasiness and burnt fat taste that some of them have .

I don't think Pringles are actually 'crisps' as in sliced deep fried potatoes are they, I thought thy were reconstituted processed potato hence the uniform size and dried wallpaper paste texture
Linda0818
USA

26-05-2015, 12:57 PM

Just a note for keeping avocados from turning brown, if you eat only half of one -- take the half you didn't eat (don't remove the pit) and lay it skin side down in a container with a tight-fitting lid on top of sliced or chunked red onion. Make sure only the skin side of the avocado touches the onion. The gasses released from the red onion will prevent oxidation.

It really works, I've done it this way several times. I've kept avocado halves up to 3 days this way without them turning brown/black. Found that little tip online one day and tried it and have been doing it that way ever since. One time I didn't have red onion, so I used yellow/white onion and it seemed to work just as well.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2015, 01:04 PM

Good tip Linda !!
Linda0818
USA

26-05-2015, 01:12 PM

It works

The same article also said rubbing the exposed flesh with oil before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap will prevent browning, but I haven't tried that one yet.
Anita
Midlands, UK

26-05-2015, 01:18 PM

I use lemon juice but I can imagine oil would work too, they are such a versatile nutrition packed little package, and there are lots of great recipes too, if you do a search.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top