Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 11:40 AM

MP's are still fiddling thier expenses

I cannot begin to express my sheer disgust after watching the Dispatches programme regarding MP’s expenses. I am appalled that MPs are still “fiddling the system” and that the IPSA, set up in 2009 to: “independently monitoring and controlling MPs’ expenses, pay and pensions. We set up new rules to make a clean break with the past.” would appear to be even be approving this flagrant and unnecessary waste of public money.

Whether this is currently “within the rules” or not, no MP living inside the M25 should be able to claim any allowance for a second home. Those that own second homes in London (even those with a mortgage) should not be allowed to let them out and then claim for rent on another London home, often nearby. The fact that some MP’s are even renting out their London homes to each other and claiming the rent as “second home expenses” is even more disgusting.

Following the revelation of MP’s exaggerated and fraudulent expenses in 2009, when a number of MP’s were exposed abusing the system; some MP’s even being prosecuted for fraud, I find it inconceivable that any MP elected in the last election, would have the bare-faced cheek to continue to milk public finances for their own selfish ends. I noted that one MP one the programme claimed the maximum allowance right to the penny that they could.

It would appear that those that govern are governed by greed. I am disgusted and the C4 programme has left me very angry. MP’s can no longer be trusted. Clearly we are not “all in it together” and never were. Those that can get what they can and care nothing for anyone else.

PLEASE EVERYONE, WRITE TO YOUR MP TODAY.
YOU CAN E-MAIL THEM AT surnamefirstinitial@parliament.uk
for example vince cable is cablev@parliament.uk
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Re: MP's are still fiddling thier expenses

Elbee, try not to watch such programmes, greed cannot be legislated against, it is inherent.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 08:02 PM

The all too familiar scandals over MPs expenses will never abate until the whole payments system is taken out of Westminster’s hands, and preferably out of London altogether. The answer surely is to employ a medium sized firm of provincial accountants, working out of any non- descript offices on an industrial estate somewhere up north to deal with all claims and payments. How difficult could it be to set up a system which is less open to abuse? Claims should only be made once a quarter, in arrears and in writing, with no personal contact allowed with the auditors other than through recordable channels such as e-mail or letter. Yes, Parliament must determine the rules and levels of recompense, but only in line with HMRC guidelines, and Parliament should play no further part in the execution of the system. Too often the Right Honourables have proved that they are not to be trusted, so it’s finally time to move the sweeties out of their reach...
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Elbee, try not to watch such programmes, greed cannot be legislated against, it is inherent.
The wole point of "such programmes" is to INFORM the people what those that are supposed to govern are up to.
Whilst you cannot stop greed, you can stop ways in which the greedy can operate.

Burying your head in the sand and not watching these programmes is not an answer, writing to your MP is!
Elbee
Chichester

22-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The all too familiar scandals over MPs expenses will never abate until the whole payments system is taken out of Westminster’s hands, and preferably out of London altogether. The answer surely is to employ a medium sized firm of provincial accountants, working out of any non- descript offices on an industrial estate somewhere up north to deal with all claims and payments. How difficult could it be to set up a system which is less open to abuse? Claims should only be made once a quarter, in arrears and in writing, with no personal contact allowed with the auditors other than through recordable channels such as e-mail or letter. Yes, Parliament must determine the rules and levels of recompense, but only in line with HMRC guidelines, and Parliament should play no further part in the execution of the system. Too often the Right Honourables have proved that they are not to be trusted, so it’s finally time to move the sweeties out of their reach...
Totally agree Plantman. All very obvious and this would stop it at a stroke. But.............MP's want to keep the sweety jar near them. All they have done is have someone (IPSA) to 'guard' it so they now have to ask "how can I get more sweets but stay in the rules!"
IPSA is not Independant at all and the greedy MP's dont want it to be.
Next thing will be a huge pay rise and expenses limited to £300 a month.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->

Burying your head in the sand and not watching these programmes is not an answer, writing to your MP is!
I agree entirely Phil, letter now sent....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Annoying as it may be, MP's expenses are a drop in the ocean compared with the activities of those MEP's with their snouts in the trough of EU expenses. Some of these people claim £1,000,000 in expenses over their 5 year period of office.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 08:18 AM

The wole point of "such programmes" is to INFORM the people what those that are supposed to govern are up to.
Whilst you cannot stop greed, you can stop ways in which the greedy can operate.

I know Elbee, just ignore my comment, i'm disaffected.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 03:29 PM

I cannot begin to express my sheer disgust after watching the Dispatches programme regarding MP’s expenses. I am appalled that MPs are still “fiddling the system” and that the IPSA, set up in 2009 to: “independently monitoring and controlling MPs’ expenses, pay and pensions. We set up new rules to make a clean break with the past.” would appear to be even be approving this flagrant and unnecessary waste of public money.

Whether this is currently “within the rules” or not, no MP living inside the M25 should be able to claim any allowance for a second home. Those that own second homes in London (even those with a mortgage) should not be allowed to let them out and then claim for rent on another London home, often nearby. The fact that some MP’s are even renting out their London homes to each other and claiming the rent as “second home expenses” is even more disgusting.

Following the revelation of MP’s exaggerated and fraudulent expenses in 2009, when a number of MP’s were exposed abusing the system; some MP’s even being prosecuted for fraud, I find it inconceivable that any MP elected in the last election, would have the bare-faced cheek to continue to milk public finances for their own selfish ends. I noted that one MP one the programme claimed the maximum allowance right to the penny that they could.

It would appear that those that govern are governed by greed. I am disgusted and the C4 programme has left me very angry. MP’s can no longer be trusted. Clearly we are not “all in it together” and never were. Those that can get what they can and care nothing for anyone else.

PLEASE EVERYONE, WRITE TO YOUR MP TODAY.
YOU CAN E-MAIL THEM AT surnamefirstinitial@parliament.uk
for example vince cable is cablev@parliament.uk
Phil matey, the very person supposedly in charge of vetting MPs expenses (Stephen Dorrell) is himself now embroiled in financial scam. He sold his house to care home organisation then leased it back from them and claimed the 'rent' he paid as part of his own MPs expenses. Need I tell you that this evil little scroat is a Tory!!!
Elbee
Chichester

28-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Annoying as it may be, MP's expenses are a drop in the ocean compared with the activities of those MEP's with their snouts in the trough of EU expenses. Some of these people claim £1,000,000 in expenses over their 5 year period of office.
The EU is a separate issue, we will get to vote on getting out in a few years although Cameron aka Mr Slipery did "promise" us a referendum in this parliament. Let's hope the British public do not juts vote with the news spin, government advice etc and do what is BEST FOR BRITAIN.

What is galling is that these MP's are dishonest. Elected to positions of trust and then fiddle and steal. Even when they get caught they get let off.

Nick a £10 T shirt from JJB sports in a riot and they open the courts 24 hours a day and give you five years!

Every MP caught fiddling or even manipulationg the system should be thrown out of office and a by election should be called.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top