Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Splitting clumpy perennials after watching tv

after watching a gardening programme, where some perennials were easily dug up, and split with ease, I decided to attack my heuchera.

It didn't turn out like it did on the tv. I think I may have killed it. (RIP Chocolate Ruffles)

Why didn't I just let it get congested and die a natural death?

why, oh why, do those tv gardeners still influence me, when I know my garden and me are not in the same gardening universe as them?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 07:35 PM

Re: Splitting clumpy perennials after watching tv

Gardening programmes always make it look so easy Spinner - look at the soil they work with for starters, its lovely stuff - even when they say its clay and hard to work it still looks easy to me. All may not be lost and your Heuchera may not be dead - Heucheras are tough. Stuff always looks as if it is finished in winter time and when things have been split at the end of the year they always look even worse I think. Last week they were probably still covered in snow. They might not be ready to start up again yet. I walked round our garden today, keen to see what we could get started on, but it's so wet and heavy at the moment and some things are just beginning to get going - some haven't even started yet. We are not in March yet. I keep looking anxiously at my delphiniums because I moved a few at the end of the year and there is no sign of life. Ignore your heuchera for a bit and maybe if you look in a couple more weeks you might see them peaking through.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2013, 07:25 AM

Yes i agree giive it time, I did the same last year with a plant and rhought it was dead but now i have 4 nice plants frome one ...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2013, 08:30 AM

The most important thing that you can give your plants is time..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Hi Spinner I am no expert gardener but I usually leave splitting any plants until the soil warms up a little to give the roots a better chance to grow away.

I also split things in the autumn when the ground is still warm and they can settle in before the cold weather.

I am guessing your heuchera is outside? If so I would cover it in compost and leave it alone for now. It may be a bit upset by being disturbed when it was sleeping and punish you by being late to get going but it should be ok
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Spinner I am no expert gardener but I usually leave splitting any plants until the soil warms up a little to give the roots a better chance to grow away.

I also split things in the autumn when the ground is still warm and they can settle in before the cold weather.

I am guessing your heuchera is outside? If so I would cover it in compost and leave it alone for now. It may be a bit upset by being disturbed when it was sleeping and punish you by being late to get going but it should be ok
I too leave plants until the weather warms. I've found that heuchera don't mind being split up in late summer and I so agree, plants do punish you
I take cuttings from my heuchera during the summer, sometimes just pushing cuttings in the soil, or potting them up for placing in just the spot when the right gap appears
I have hard clay soil but I have to dig a spade depth to find it..we have put so much mulching, manure and compost on our borders over the years and it has been well worth it.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2013, 08:44 PM

It probably was too early.
(But the border did need a good sort out, and I had the time, and it was a lovely day....)
I noticed dandelions with flower heads on 'em already!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
It probably was too early.
(But the border did need a good sort out, and I had the time, and it was a lovely day....)
I noticed dandelions with flower heads on 'em already!
You can always depend on dandelions to make a comeback
spinner
yorkshire

25-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Can report that one of the replanted heuchera shards is showing signs of life.
A few have disappeared? I blame the rabbits
Jubilee2
Green Countryside
Jubilee2 is female 

26-02-2013, 07:46 PM

I Have a Huge Zantedeschia aethiopica in a pot how can I spilt this and what time of year should one attempt it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top