Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Rant from me

Oh well here goes. Apart from all the hassle I have with my OH. Stress about work had my contract renewed again for 12 months but not looking to good after that. About 20 odd months ago started a business with my son (in his thirty's) as he had been out of work for quite a while as where he lives in Yorkshire there are not to many jobs about. Nothing elaborate just selling some stuff online a friend of mine had a warehouse nearby and said we could use that for storage and work from.We had a good first year and decided it was time to move up so found a larger unit of our own to move into this took some costs solicitors fees, BT,Broadband. I told him we need to be on the ball get all our listings up as we now had bills to pay. Since then I have to pull him up about a few things. Not replying to e mails and getting into arguments with customers. Not giving the accounts lists I need for accountants. Not claming back on Insurance for lost/damaged items in post. The list goes on and on, when I spoke to him about it says, "I have lost interest because you don't listen to what I say". And "I told you we should be doing this"So over the weekend I wrote out a long e mail and gave him both barrels, also asking him to e mail me back as to where he saw this business going what do I get back a stroppy text message. I had asked him what our business plan was and he replied I have spoken to 3 companies and they said we can have an account with them, (that should nail it with the bank). This is the same person that is black listed with his credit rating that when I applied for a business bank account was refused because of his ratings, the same person I have put up living in my house on a few occasions because he cannot get work even with his g/f. Also bailing him out of debt for £4K where i had to remortgage my house. I could go on.

Thanks for letting me have this rant. I now have a bottle of Claret/Bordeax that I intend to sit here with this evening and as I say,tomorrow is another day.

:twis ted:
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Re: Rant from me

Sorry to hear this Rob - but family life is hard enough with all the different directions it takes, going into business with a family member, well you'd have to be joined at the hip in 'all' respects. It was a gamble Rob....I hope it works out - wish you well....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm sorry to hear it too. I echo what Pat has said about working with family. Good luck.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Sorry to hear that fitou - I hope it works out for you. We had a family business which, for the most part, worked well. We bought a business for my son (he was working there at the time and business was being sold) and we sank thousands into it for him but he just messed around with the young men working for him instead of getting on with the work that needed doing. Pulling the plug on his business was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do so I would urge you to be careful - don't get pulled down with the business if it starts collapsing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Hi Rob I hope you are feeling better about things today.

It can be a thankless task working with family, I hope things work out for you
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 10:28 AM

You really need to let him start making his own mistakes and finding his own solutions to them now that he's an adult, it sounds like you've been making excuses for him and probably bailing him out for all of his life...if you don't stop doing it he'll come to resent you for it......
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 10:54 AM

We, most of us parents do it, Oh they need a bit of help then they'll be alright, purses and wallets too easily opened. I closed my purse firmly last year and they've managed quite nicely, and it's staying shut, my money's going on me now. Well sort of.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 01:57 PM

I am sorry to hear that you have had this problem. Please take Hazel's advice and keep your purse tightly shut. I hope that this does not cause a long term family rift.
Joan uk
New Member!
Manchester, UK
Joan uk is female 

26-02-2013, 02:34 PM

fitou, I learnt the hard way too with my son
could you take over the business yourself without your son or perhaps with someone else in his place who would listen to you?

I hope you don`t lose too much money for your kindness

their attitude is too, easy come easy go, it isn`t their money
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Sorry to hear that Rob, I hope things work out for you. My Dad came into money when I was in my 30's, he wanted to set me up in business, luckily I was wise enough to tell him to forget it as I never had a head for business, glad I did, I did far better on my own and Dad and me remained very close up to the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top