Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 05:46 AM

The Death Penalty has reared its ugly head!

There have been numerous comments of late fueled by the recent killing of our soldier. Some who did not believe in the death penalty may be having second thoughts - others just go with the biggest crowd puller. and then the stats have been quoted - in an attempt to prove that the death penalty either did not prevent more murders or did.

And now PNG has re-introduced the death penalty probably because it is unable to control the increasing number of gang rapes, murders etc. so lets fall back on the threat of 'if you do it we'll kill you' - it don't work!

Amnesty International has strongly condemned the move as has the PNG Catholic church. Civilized societies claim that using the death penalty is a law of the old testament 'an eye for an eye an tooth for a tooth' and does not have a place in modern society - how stand you?

ps: mind you I think PNG has always had a 'death penalty' culture in an non-formal way - so that hasn't worked either
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Re: The Death Penalty has reared its ugly head!

I am someone who has been slowly changing her mind over the past few years, prison is no longer working so something has to happen. I have even campaigned against the death penalty in the past so something must be very wrong for me to be questioning should it come back.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 06:40 AM

I too think we should reintroduce the death penalty in the very worst cases which are proved beyond ANY doubt. Exactly which cases would have to be dicussed at length. Maybe the death penalty would not deter murderers Mindbender but at least it would give justice to those left behind.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 06:53 AM

Me too, the sooner the better.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 07:21 AM

I've never been opposed to the death penalty. My problem is that our legal system isn't good enough to ensure that only the guilty are convicted.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
reintroduce the death penalty in the very worst cases which are proved beyond ANY doubt.
Precisely. This knee-jerk reaction against the death penalty relies on people believing we'd go back to the bad old days when people were hanged for stealing a loaf of bread.

There are rogue people just as there are rogue animals and no amount of talking things through will help them.

It almost certainly would not deter killings but it would remove the type of killer, that cannot be reformed, from taking someone else's life: people have a right to live without fear of being murdered.

If there is an effective alternative, let's hear it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Precisely. This knee-jerk reaction against the death penalty relies on people believing we'd go back to the bad old days when people were hanged for stealing a loaf of bread.

There are rogue people just as there are rogue animals and no amount of talking things through will help them.

It almost certainly would not deter killings but it would remove the type of killer, that cannot be reformed, from taking someone else's life: people have a right to live without fear of being murdered.

If there is an effective alternative, let's hear it.

Karen darlin' - there is an alternative - the judges have the option but too seldom utilise it - that is a 'whole life' sentence - i.e the prisoner convicted of very serious crimes (not just murder) will be detained (without parole) for the remainder of his/her life. A much more humane way of dealing with deviants.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Karen darlin' - there is an alternative - the judges have the option but too seldom utilise it - that is a 'whole life' sentence - i.e the prisoner convicted of very serious crimes (not just murder) will be detained (without parole) for the remainder of his/her life. A much more humane way of dealing with deviants.
So if it is available, why is it never used?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
So if it is available, why is it never used?
I didn't say its NEVER used, I said its SELDOM used. One of the reasons I presume is a lack of prison space.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

29-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I didn't say its NEVER used, I said its SELDOM used. One of the reasons I presume is a lack of prison space.
Sorry for misreading your post Uncle Joe - I can only put it down to never having read about life meaning life actually happening and my brain did a quick, but foolhardy, change in seeing what I believed rather than what I'd actually read!

Then maybe the solution would be to stop putting people in prison when prison isn't the solution (like non-payment of fines or council tax) and use community-based work instead as a way of making reparation?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top