Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Marriage Vows

On behalf of Davo - I will start the thread off his idea...
I would hope that marriage vows 'are' taken very seriously, but, judging by the divorce rate and in a lot of cases - especally celebs, only lasting a very short time, I wonder if they are taken too lightly today.
Even tho' I took my vows as sacred - I would not have stayed with an abuser. You cannot predict that you can hold to those vows - you can only be mature in heart and try hard to make a marriage work - commitment to each other, and for me, to communicate and share laughter is 'very' important .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Re: Marriage Vows

I took my vows very seriously and luckily so did my husband, what I would have done if he had abused me or been unfaithful I have never had to find out, I think only when it happens can we really know how we will react.

Key is chose a spouse wisely you will have a long time to regret any mistake and I knew from the first day I met my husband he tells no lies and therefore felt happy to trust him.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Yes trust - a big factor in a happy marriage - we have that too ...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:36 PM

I can't say I took the vows that seriously on either occasion - it was just something you're told to say. Most of it doesn't mean anything anyway - how can you promise to love and cherish someone till your dying day?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Well providing 'he' has taken the vows seriously too - thats what the 'wedding' is about gal ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:45 PM

I am not sure I 'took vows' as such having been married in a registry office .

We were already living together (shock horror in those days) and I saw no reason to get married, I didn't need a bit of paper to state my commitment to my chosen mate.

My word was my bond and so was his. I would have stayed faithful to him for the rest of my life and indeed I have done so since he died almost 30 years ago. He was the love of my life, the father of my child, funny, super intelligent and for me no other man could hope to match him in any way.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am not sure I 'took vows' as such having been married in a registry office .

We were already living together (shock horror in those days) and I saw no reason to get married, I didn't need a bit of paper to state my commitment to my chosen mate.

My word was my bond and so was his. I would have stayed faithful to him for the rest of my life and indeed I have done so since he died almost 30 years ago. He was the love of my life, the father of my child, funny, super intelligent and for me no other man could hope to match him in any way.
Aww Meg - that's beautifully put and, to my mind, what being with someone is all about - marriage vows or no marriage vows.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Well providing 'he' has taken the vows seriously too - thats what the 'wedding' is about gal ......
To be honest, I didn't want to get married at all. All those men who claimed women trick them into marriage and I have to choose ones who insist on tying the knot!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Of course it is - wedding or not ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
To be honest, I didn't want to get married at all. All those men who claimed women trick them into marriage and I have to choose ones who insist on tying the knot!

You 'know' better now gal - we all learn ....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top