Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Spirit of '45 .....

This was a docu we watched last night - before my time so although I knew of some things - it was a thorough insight for me .... Before nationalisation, it was hell conditions for the miners, steelworkers, railways etc..... All changed for the better... until Thatcher reversed everything...
One part that really got to me was the miners, they did not know from day to day if they would be working - until the day. Then you see them climbing a coal dust heap, scratching for some coal to take home .. As they did this, a 'gale' of coal dust flew at them, covering them - broke my heart to see it.... The aristrocracy that employed them on a day to day basis, could not give a fig....
Also to see the people move from the slums to decent housing, very moving ......
BTW - after seeing this - I see 'exactly' why U Joe is so strong on his views .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Re: Spirit of '45 .....

My Dad was one of 13 he was youngest born in 1907. His older brothers went down the mines, this area has a strong mining tradition he said they used to put chains around their waists, when they were children of about 12+, to pull the carts full of coal along underground. His mother used to go to lay the miners out, clean their bodies after accidents. My maternal Grandad was also a miner, he made the wreaths for those who died. He worked in Wales in the mines where he met my Gran and then came back here when work there was scarce. My Dad's family were in a tiny cottage in the village I live in now, they moved into a bigger terraced house nearer the mine. My Dad's family were Catholics, his Mum would make the children clothes from the old cassocks given to her by the monks at a nearby Abbey where she helped make them. My Dad was lucky enough to avoid the mines & got an apprenticeship at the Abbey doing stone masonry. The neighbours threw stones at him & his siblings because they were Catholic. His sisters all worked in domestic service. His stories about the dreadful conditions in the mines always used to end up with his tears.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Didn't see the program but by the time I entered the coal industry things weren't too bad. Yes it was hard, dangerous and dirty work but we were fairly well paid, had pit-head baths and (in my first year) had just gained a 2 weeks annual paid holiday. I left the industry in 1967 when the wages weren't so good but, according to people I knew in the industry, they didn't work so hard as in my time.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Things got better for them - and so they should - terrible times ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Twiz - very moved by your story ......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top