Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 08:43 AM

Child Birth

Is it good for a father to attend the birth of their child?. (BBC now)
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Re: Child Birth

It's only good if both parents want it - otherwise I should think it could be hugely traumatic and off-putting for the father to see all that blood and guts and pain. I should imagine some fathers would rather be miles away until it's all over - and some mothers would hate their men to see them like that - but as I've never had children I can only guess. I don't think there's any right or wrong here though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Think you've nailed it eccles, so many folks do the "right" thing under duress.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 09:25 AM

I saw my second child born.........at home which was the norm in those days. I'm glad I saw it but once was enough !
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 09:39 AM

I was present at the birth of my children and it was wonderful. Although my wife did all the work and experienced the pain, I felt I was really part of the experience. Wouldn't have missed it for the world!
artybez
HIGHCLIFFE DORSET
artybez is female  artybez has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
It's only good if both parents want it - otherwise I should think it could be hugely traumatic and off-putting for the father to see all that blood and guts and pain. I should imagine some fathers would rather be miles away until it's all over - and some mothers would hate their men to see them like that - but as I've never had children I can only guess. I don't think there's any right or wrong here though.
Absolutely right. It's a messy business and very undignified. Better for hubby to see a nice cleaned up baby.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 11:09 AM

depends on the wife I supposed, she may not want him to see her all sweaty and in pain
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 11:40 AM

I remember when this became 'fashionable' back in the late 60's and asking the wife about it, she was not for it and neither was I. She thought the whole idea of me standing by her bed with a stupid look on my face was too much to take along with the pain of childbirth, so that was knocked on the head for us, much to my relief I might add.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by artybez ->
Absolutely right. It's a messy business and very undignified. Better for hubby to see a nice cleaned up baby.
Utter nonsense - IMO. Our 3 childen were born at home and I was present at all the births. Wouldn't have missed it for anything.
It's the most natural thing in the world. I'd make it compulsory for fathers to be there - unless they had a very good excuse.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Defecation is also the most natural thing in the world, as is occasional vomiting, passing wind and other bodily functions. Doesn't necessarily mean they are things you want to share, surely?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top