Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 02:01 PM

The power of Music.

I find it fascinating that music has such a power over our mood; happy, sad, energetic or relaxing, it's effect is universal so there must be something fundamentally inherent in humans to make it so powerful. What do you think ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 02:27 PM

Re: The power of Music.

Absolutely agree - it certainly has an impact on mood also evokes memories we had forgotten too ..... Could not live without music and such thanks to the musicians and writers
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Nice thread .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 02:44 PM

It was and still is my abiding passion, it kept me sane during my childhood and is the only thing i carried from those times as i dont want to remember those unhappy days.

I still relish discovering new music across all genres,and im grateful that i grew up in the 60`s where so much music was becoming available in so many ways.

I like most art forms, but none deliver such a powerful message as music for me. As the song goes, "Music was my first love. And it will be my last."
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I find it fascinating that music has such a power over our mood; happy, sad, energetic or relaxing, it's effect is universal so there must be something fundamentally inherent in humans to make it so powerful. What do you think ?
It's no doubt something to do with being in the womb. All the swishing and pulsating sounds

As you can see, I am a highly emotional woman and an incurable romantic and have never recovered from the death of Bambi's mother
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 03:17 PM

Agree Nom - especially music of the 60s, we had everything then music wise, so many styles and artistes - fab !!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 04:24 PM

As I'm still feeling a bit down (esp after reading on FB while in the Sainsburys queue, on my phone, that a friend's husband had died), I came home and put CDs on to play on the surround system, so loud.

Had the soundtrack of Are You Lonesome Tonight (Martin Shaw and Simon Bowman), now Chris Rea.

I don't know the history of P who died, but L married him only a few weeks ago, and his face showed terrible signs of illness. He had holes in his head, one side was drooped and swollen, yet in earlier photos he looked well. She said in her post today that he'd been her first love. I almost started crying right there in the store. Very sad, but a brave couple.

So I'm playing favourite music to bloody cheer myself up!!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Hope the music helps Jazzi x
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
As I'm still feeling a bit down (esp after reading on FB while in the Sainsburys queue, on my phone, that a friend's husband had died), I came home and put CDs on to play on the surround system, so loud.

Had the soundtrack of Are You Lonesome Tonight (Martin Shaw and Simon Bowman), now Chris Rea.

I don't know the history of P who died, but L married him only a few weeks ago, and his face showed terrible signs of illness. He had holes in his head, one side was drooped and swollen, yet in earlier photos he looked well. She said in her post today that he'd been her first love. I almost started crying right there in the store. Very sad, but a brave couple.

So I'm playing favourite music to bloody cheer myself up!!!!

Try this Jan darlin' - the first 'classical' piece that piqued my interest in classical music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtLuyWuPDs
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 01:41 PM

There's a book called (I think) "This is your brain and music" which explores why music has such a profound effect on us. Interesting stuff!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top