Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Check a Trade

Have you ever used this site, I did once, for a neighbour.
The work was done - eventually ......
Now there is an item in the DM by a customer that went through hell by hiring someone from them.
He has done a thorough investigation and Check a Trade 'earn' £800 from each workman, to have them listed on the site.
Dissatisfied customers are 'not' listed as should be.
Its a right CON - beware !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Re: Check a Trade

I have used them several times. Complete bathroom refit, doors throughout, car repairs and service and some painting. All done well. We did have a problem with the bathroom as they said they would do the work while we were away for a week, but we came back to no bathroom at all, they came in straight away and put it right but it meant we were trying to live around the work being done which wasn't the plan. However we were very pleased when it was finished.

None of the workmen have asked for money up front, and they have all been very pleasant polite people.

I can't say I recognise the site described in the article as we have no problems. We always check their feedback, we also independently check where we can and when we had the bathroom done we made sure we got 4 quotes and selected the person we felt easiest with as he had independent recommendations as well as those on checkatrade, his lateness in doing the work originally was due to his marriage breakup, and could have happened to anyone I think so we don't hold any thing against him and would use him again.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Pleased to hear it Julie - but its put me right off ......
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Northants County Council provide a similar service but that doesn't mean it can be trusted.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 07:10 PM

I've not heard of Check a Trade but I've used a number of others like this and my opinion is that it is a postcode lottery.

I was let down on several occasions and got so totally p****d off with some of the arrogant tossers coming to my door or 'phoning when I explicitly said NOT to 'phone me that I gave up.

I now use a word-of-mouth system and - so far - it's worked because if one of these tradesmen cocks-up, we all make sure the b******d doesn't get any more work from our 'fraternity' and, fortunately, this knowledge has spread!

What we do now is ask around our loose 'fraternity' and see who has had what done and by whom - if it was good, we check them out.

If it was rubbish - boy do we put that info about! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

27-06-2014, 07:19 PM

You're right of course - I thought I'd try Age Concern if I were on me own at some time. The people here haven't a clue so I wouldn't ask them
Annabelle
Tasmania Australia
Annabelle is female 

28-06-2014, 06:56 AM

One benefit of living in a small city, even the whole state is that most businesses have been around for a long time and we get to know them.
That is not to say we don't get some dodgy people around sometimes of course we do, but we get to know them too, mostly by word of mouth or someone will write a letter to the paper or something.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Annabelle ->
One benefit of living in a small city, even the whole state is that most businesses have been around for a long time and we get to know them.
That is not to say we don't get some dodgy people around sometimes of course we do, but we get to know them too, mostly by word of mouth or someone will write a letter to the paper or something.
Same here.
Word of mouth is a big thing in small towns.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

27-07-2014, 04:36 PM

This may be useful to some - its Government backed and is supported by consumer groups ....
The site is Trustmark.org.uk and is not for profit
On the site you type in your postcode and the type of tradesman you are looking for .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 04:39 PM

I have a look thanks Patsy, although as I said I find check a trade OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top