Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Buddleia

Ours is flowering well,but no butterflies,any one got them?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Re: Buddleia

loads f sprays this year and loads of butterflies
would put some pics up,but cant upload from pc on this forum:
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Ours has only just started attracting the butterflies but has been in full flower for a couple of weeks now.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Buddleia davidii is actually being classed as a nuisance weed these days and where I work they are self-seeding everywhere and causing significant damage!

I've got three that have established themselves so close to an eight-foot brick wall that I cannot remove them and they've gone under the brickwork and come out both sides now.

I've tried a high strength, root-attacking woody-weed killer but the things still keep coming back and of course they cannot be dug-out!

They're almost as bad as Japanese Knotweed and nothing except digging them out works - when you have that choice.

I'm finding juvenile Buddleia plants everywhere and many spring up through paving and even tarmac.

I couldn't care less if I never see Butterflies on the things!

As home I've got Hebes, Deutzias and other plants that more than compensate me for not growing Buddleias and both bees AND butterflies love them. stevmk2
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 07:22 PM

Someone has put this on a gardening FB site that I am on. It is choking native plants. IMHO it's the common lilac one that to us is the *weed*. I have white and very dark purple and these do not seem anywhere near as hardy, and die more easily by rotting at the base.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
Someone has put this on a gardening FB site that I am on. It is choking native plants. IMHO it's the common lilac one that to us is the *weed*. I have white and very dark purple and these do not seem anywhere near as hardy, and die more easily by rotting at the base.
I've got all three of those colours Celyn - none of them ever actually planted where I worked, (I checked!), so that makes them a weed in my book!

By the way, it's the White ones by and under the brick wall I cannot kill either!
Others can be dug out if and when I get time to do so. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
I also have these two and never had a problem with self seeding - I would certainly never put it in the same class as the dreaded knotweed!!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

15-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I also have these two and never had a problem with self seeding - I would certainly never put it in the same class as the dreaded knotweed!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28196221
stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 08:02 PM

I understand it being a bit rampant but as the article states removing the seed heads will keep it in check - I always do this anyway. I know in the wild that's expensive and time consuming but should be done. This method would never work with JK as there are so many bits flying around ready to grow a new plant! Himalayan Balsam is another thug.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Not sure why the butterflies aren't around here then? plenty of bees' bumbles and honey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top