Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Blimming slugs & snails! Grrrr

Just paid a flying visit to the allotment and discovered all my khol rabies have not only been stripped of their leaves, but the root balls have been eaten into! (They had been in a small raises bed, under cover of a curtain. I'd obviously been very sparing in my use of slug pellets.)

I am livid.

The payback team super had even praised them a week or so ago, saying how lovely they were doing.

I was hoping to enter some in our Produce Show on 14 Sep. no chance now.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Re: Blimming slugs & snails! Grrrr

Ive been round my garden yesterday and today lifting pots and finding huge slugs underneath.also disturbed a few Earwigs.I carry a salt pot and sprinkle slugs and snails ,ive found putting pellets down just attracts more.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 12:36 PM

After the heavy rains at the weekend I found some really big slugs around my beans which immediately got flying lessons .
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Ah I feel for you Jazzi...they are a damned nuisance, I too am sick of them. I read somewhere recently beer gets rid of them, don't know if this is true.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 08:02 PM

I have been doing an evening slug hunt in the garden with a torch for two or three years now . I used to find lots but there are not so many these days so I think I am winning the battle
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by venus ->
Ah I feel for you Jazzi...they are a damned nuisance, I too am sick of them. I read somewhere recently beer gets rid of them, don't know if this is true.
They like beer, if you sink a pot in the soil with the top at ground level, then put a few inches of beer in, the slugs crawl down and drink the beer, then get drunk and fall in and drown.

So I was told by a keen gardener.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
They like beer, if you sink a pot in the soil with the top at ground level, then put a few inches of beer in, the slugs crawl down and drink the beer, then get drunk and fall in and drown.

You don't even need a pot, a saucer will do. Don't know how beer affects them but it does.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Perhaps the slugs around here are TT but this didn't work for me. A torch and bucket seems to be the most effective slug treatment
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 09:45 AM

They are always recommending beer traps in my gardening mags Jimmy. I suppose you'd have to keep checking them, to see they haven't dried up in the heat, or overflowed after rain. Don't use them myself because I think my youngest dog would get her snout in the beer! Don't use pellets for the same reason. I just patroll with a small plastic pot half full of salt water and drop the blighters in. Once they've deceased I tip 'em on the compost heap.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 11:36 AM

The best thing to keep slugs down is an hedgehog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top