Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Comic books.

I loved my comics from the superheroes to the Beano and Dandy. Saturday was our comic swapping day and the brother and me would head off to several different houses in our area we knew there where good swaps to be had, sometimes we had to give two comics for a recent Superman issue, Superman was always in demand. Just to be different I tried to invent a character meself, but not a superhero, a super weakling who talked his way out of dangerous situations, Woody Allen would have been ideal for the part, but my brother told me it was a dead duck and a daft idea, said he would not collaborate with me so the project was quickly abandoned. Regardless of what the adults thought at the time I found that comics were good for me, as a lad with a bad education they helped me understand words I never came across before, educational as well as entertaining.

I would read any type of comic I could get my hands on in those days, note the cowboy Rex Allen in the picture, he was the cleanest of all the cowboys, never got a speck of dirt on him always immaculately dressed, the brother and me placed him in the ‘Blouse’ category of cowboys, they didn’t wear shirts they wore frilly blouses, then you had Roy Rogers another nancy boy cowboy who didn’t curse, kill anybody, drink, or smoke and sang songs to girls right up into their faces, especially his flat faced wife Dale Evans who hung on to him like a wart, he would sing to his horse Trigger too and even his dog Bullet, what kind of a gobshite does that?, not my kind of a cowboy at all. Ah those childhood days.

D
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 05:39 PM

Re: Comic books.

I loved comics when I was young. I remember getting the first edition of Twinkle! Then went on to the Dandy, Beano, etc. Then Jackie and the Mandy. We had a shop called Yankee Mags and I used to go on a Saturday with my pocket money and buy American comics, Little Dot, Little Lotte, Ritchie Rich and the likes. I loved those comics. A big part of my childhood.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:06 PM

When I was a kid, every Sunday morning my Father would go out and buy me a bunch of comics for the week (e.g. Jackie, dandy, beano, the beezer etc).
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Oh yes we loved our comics, my older sister and myself were taught to read by an uncle who always read these comics with us. The Danny, Beano, Topper, Bunty and Judy, happy days....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Little Dot ........ and Richie Rich for me
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:36 PM

As I grew older I had the Dandy, then the Wizard and then Tit Bits.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:51 PM

I was a Dandy reader and my brother read the Beano then I switched to Girl and my brother the Eagle.

I buy my grandson the Beano every week, he said prefers it to
the modern day comics. My granddaughter prefers a cake making or sweet making magazine, she is currently collecting the Something Sweet magazines
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Little Dot ........ and Richie Rich for me
Thank goodness someone else has heard of those Patsy. People usually look at me, puzzled, when I tell them about those comics!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Our only sister used to get a girls comic every week, I can’t remember the name of it but there was a following up story (I was such an avid reader I used to sneak a look at it ) about four girls all called Mary in the same school, Mary Cotter was the one with the Buddy Holly specs, can't think of the rest of their names but there was a blonde among them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Our only sister used to get a girls comic every week, I can’t remember the name of it but there was a following up story (I was such an avid reader I used to sneak a look at it ) about four girls all called Mary in the same school, Mary Cotter was the one with the Buddy Holly specs, can't think of the rest of their names but there was a blonde among them.
Is that when you started noticing elbows, Jem?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top