Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Shift Work

It takes a special person to do Shift Work, I have done double days, but never Nights, has anyone done Nights, was it a tough call?.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:27 AM

Re: Shift Work

Never done it myself but, from what others have said most have never got used to it and it can take a toll on the health. They didn't have a choice so had to do the best they could with it.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It takes a special person to do Shift Work, I have done double days, but never Nights, has anyone done Nights, was it a tough call?.
I worked a 10 hour night shift for many years using a computer, sometimes 6 out of 7 nights and loved them!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:41 AM

I have worked various forms of night duties over the years to numerous to mention and in general I enjoyed night work

One position involved 12 hour shifts answering alarm calls (pendant alarms/cord alarms/out of hours calls for the council) and in the quiet times doing data input. I found it really hard going when it was quiet and difficult to stay alert.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:42 AM

the hardest time was around 5am wishing the clock would move quickly to 8am
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:53 AM

My son used to have to do what his firm called "Continental Shifts". It was something like 2 days on, followed by 4 nights. It was a killer, and he really worried me because he used to look white as a sheet and not at all well.
I've heard it said that is the worst possible way to work because your body doesn't have time to adjust to either shift time, before it changes again.
Apparently all nights are actually easier to do than constant swapping about.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

21-01-2015, 01:13 AM

yes I'd agree, I preferred the night shift, the job was much easier when all the day staff left
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 03:01 AM

I've worked rotating shift work virtually my whole working life - usually day - night - afternoon.. The body never got used to it.

12 hour shifts made a big difference - though I can't forget the first 12 hour night shift I did - by about midnight I felt like I had been there my whole life. Fortunately I got used to it and after the first week night shifts were a breeze.

The equipment I worked on had alarms so sleeping/dozing was fine (though not sanctioned) got a few hours sleep each night except when things went really wrong.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 05:47 AM

When I worked in the mines (for 17 years) I very often had to work on all three shifts. As others have said, you got used to it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 08:53 AM

I've never done different shifts. The workers at my workplace who work nights are permanent night shifters, so they're used to it and actually prefer it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top